• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Lens ID problem

parrilladk

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I enjoy 35mm full frame digital photography and recently startedIMG_20200522_152919661.jpgIMG_20200522_152912958.jpgIMG_20200522_152901506.jpgIMG_20200522_152837721.jpg a collection of Nikon lenses. I acquired this lens (photos) and I do not know what it is and hope than someone on this forum knows. Thanks.

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day mate

My guessing is that it is
a) 35mm focal length
b) pentax K-mount, manual so circa 1970s
c) that someone in the past has unscrewed the front faceplate for some reason

Although it also looks like the 50mm lens of that era, those lenses were F1,8 whereas this is an F2,8 lens
There is no actual Aperture control ring - so it was made for a semi-auto camera with some sort of internal 'auto' metering

Hope this helps
Phil

parrilladk

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply, very heppful. There is an aperture control ring, you can see it in the photos (the last ring before the mount).

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
I believe it is Konica Mount: the "AE" on the aperture stands for "Auto-Exposure". The back looks like my Konica 50/1.7, checked the latch in the bayonet flange of the mount. The notch is to lock the lens into place.

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
...Thanks for the reply, very heppful. There is an aperture control ring, you can see it in the photos (the last ring before the mount).
Correct - silly me - I can clearly see the aperture numbers from 2,8 thru to 16 followed by AE. It was because the max aperture is 'only' F2,8 that I considered it to me a wide angle lens of some sort

I believe it is Konica Mount: the "AE" on the aperture stands for "Auto-Exposure". The back looks like my Konica 50/1.7, checked the latch in the bayonet flange of the mount. The notch is to lock the lens into place.
G'day Brian - could be ... 'but' the only bother here is the apertures start at F2,8 rather than F1,7 as you suggest for the Konica lens
-and- the aperture close-down mechanism in pic-3 was certainly the sort of thing my Pentax & Ricoh lenses used ~ and probably others of that era as well, maybe??

A good Q for us oldies to delve into :)
Phil

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
This is what you do when stuck in "self-Quarantine" for two weeks...

Konica_KMount2.jpgKonica_KMount.jpg

Konica 50/1.4 on the left, Pentax K-Mount 50/1.4 Auto-Chinon on the right. The latter lives on my ME Super. I tried to get the Notch in the flange of the Konica to show up, this is where the lens locks in place on the camera. I bought the 50/1.4 on a Black Konica T3 for $50 on Ebay. The VF of the Camera was all hazed up. Popped the top off it, no small task. Cleaned up nicely.

The color scheme on the lens is different from Konica, I think it is a third-party, possible Tokina, made for the Konica mount. Someone pulled the name ring off- but the color scheme "looks familiar, where have I seen that before". Older Konica lenses used to mark the auto-setting as "EE" for "Electric Eye". Love that term. My digital cameras have "Electric Eyes".

On the F2.8: with the front namering gone: the min focus is 0.3m and the DOF scale covers more than a 50mm lens. My guess is that the lens is a 35/2.8.

Absolutely agree with "us Oldies!"

Last edited:

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No

I think it is like the above lens- a Vivitar 35/2.8 for Konica.

And it was manufactured by Tokina.

The first two digital of the SN of Vivitar lenses show the company that manufactured it.

This is the last day of Self-Quarantine- so get those questions in for the old Camera Geezer.