1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Levels adjustment in Lightroom 2?

Discussion in 'PhotoShop & Editing Tips, Tricks and Tutorials For' started by Carmen, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carmen

Carmen Forum Geek :) Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Is there an equivalent of the photoshop Levels adjustment tool in LR?

I'm currently editing a load of pics from last night and I've done crop, slight exposure adjustment in LR if needed and then exported. I'm finding all it needs in most cases is a levels adjustment in PS (CS2). I wondered if I could have done this in LR?

I thought it might be the exposure adjustment tool but it doesn't seem to do the same thing if I drag the bar on the histogram in LR as it does in the Levels adjustment in PS i.e. if I try to drag the right hand side to meet the histogram it ends up looking over exposed but if I do it in Levels in PS it looks fine. Am I missing something or is it just working in a different way?

2. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    The 'recovery', 'fill light' and 'blacks' sliders.

3. Carmen

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Ok, I do tend to use the blacks slider in LR, but which slider is it ( is it the fill light?) that does the same as dragging the right highlight slider into the right edge of the histogram in PS??

Recovery is to try to gain back blown highlights isn't it??

Am I being stupendously thick here..... LOL

4. Chris Hawkins

Chris Hawkins Here a lot Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    A really good question. The simple answer is no. My instinct is that you can't replicate levels with the sliders that Sean references.

5. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Edit - Didn't see Chris' post.

I'd say yes it is because, it is creating the same end point as it would be if using the levels system in Photoshop.
    At the end of the day it is only moving the highlight point and the shadow point of the exposure in relation to how the image is exposed.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  6. Carmen

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    OK I'll have another play tonight. I can manage curves in LR - though to be honest I don't usually bother as I prefer the way it works in PS if I'm going to use PS anyway!

7. pegasusl

pegasusl Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    I actually tend not to use the sliders but instead grab the corresponding segment of the actual histogram and shift it left and right.

Just seems more intuative for me and very useful. From left to right the segments of the histogram control BLACKS, FILL LIGHT, EXPOSURE, RECOVERY :Dm

8. Carmen

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Yes have to say I do that too but to me it doesn't seem to work the same as levels. If I shift the histogram to where the edge meets the right hand line it adjusts the exposure slider and seems to look over exposed.....

9. orm

orm Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Also, a good tip is to press option (or alt) when you're moving the faders up and down and it will display blown out areas of that corresponding fader.

10. Chris Hawkins

Chris Hawkins Here a lot Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    OK I've had a play now. Levels is not the same as Recovery etc. Recovery etc reditributes the histogram whereas levels simply selects part of the histogram - the effect can be similar - but, they are not the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.