• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Levon Biss

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I was walking through the Grafton shopping center in Cambridge a couple days ago and the guy's work was featured in a digital gallery. Needless to say with my macro leanings this guys work really made my eyes pop.
If anyone's interested his site is here and the video is well worth a watch.
http://microsculpture.net/

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Stunning work! I’m on a Facebook group for macro and the members post images like this. Their focus stacking equipment is amazing! Thanks for sharing this Ryan.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I do think this style is amazing, and for research and museum stuff it can be great. For the hobby tog I have a couple of problems with stacking. First is the heavy stacks require killing an insect. I just feel wrong doing this, I also just cannot feel good about taking live insects home and cooling them etc. It is probably the pink vegan in me. The other reason is one of visuals. We naturally see a depth of field. It is how we evolved 3D vision so we can judge distances etc, when heavy stacking is done we often loose that sense of depth. It reveals a lot of detail but to my eyes looks flat. It just lacks something that for me at least, a single frame looks better.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I do think this style is amazing, and for research and museum stuff it can be great. For the hobby tog I have a couple of problems with stacking. First is the heavy stacks require killing an insect. I just feel wrong doing this, I also just cannot feel good about taking live insects home and cooling them etc. It is probably the pink vegan in me. The other reason is one of visuals. We naturally see a depth of field. It is how we evolved 3D vision so we can judge distances etc, when heavy stacking is done we often loose that sense of depth. It reveals a lot of detail but to my eyes looks flat. It just lacks something that for me at least, a single frame looks better.
I'm of a similar mind to you re killing insects for the hobby but knowing what a can of worms this topic can be perhaps we should leave that aspect aside. From the video he was contracted to do this by the Oxford Natural history museum using their own collection so at least they were not killed just for the photo shoot.
Personally I think the technique is fascinating and have been reading up. To really see what he was up against zoom fully into one of the shots and notice how prominent the diffraction is and think if that was as good as he could get it how hard it must have been to get 18000 shots all with a hairs width dof to match up! Besides insects this kind of setup has some crazy potential for abstract extreme macro like 15:1 iridescent feathers or crystal structures, the potential is endless.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yep, I read that his shots were for the museum.

The technique is indeed fascinating. The amount of work that goes into each shot is amazing. I’ve seen the work on other media and the setup involved. I know I would not have the skills or patience to undertake such a task. It really is a work of love.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I could not kill or chill insects just to photograph them either. From the video it seems he is alining the different parts manually.

wornish

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for sharing Ryan. Totally amazing work.