• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers Light Trails - question

herne

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Took my camera out last night for a first time experiment with car light trails (see below). I wanted another point of interest in the picture as well, so that's a Sainsburys on the left (albeit cut off, need to work on composition).

I like the minimal amount of light trails (not much traffic about) but my question relates to the sky. It's pitch black even though there was a little light in the sky, how come? This particular photo is a 20 second exposure so I'd have thought at least a little sky light would creep in? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining and actually quite like the black, so this is more a question for knowledge rather than a what did I do wrong question, if you get my drift.

DSC05741.jpg

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It has to do with the difference in exposure value of the elements in the frame. Your camera is limited to 12-14 stops of dynamic range (the ratio between the maximum and minimum measurable light intensities), and captures a slice in time with the limited view in front of it. The human eye by comparison is supposedly capable of capturing 30 stops of DR, but only 10 stops at a time (much like the camera view), but as your eyes take in the scene the brain assembles those "snapshots" into a combined image.

Light trails are fun. One I did from awhile back https://flic.kr/p/CtKAex

herne

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It has to do with the difference in exposure value of the elements in the frame. Your camera is limited to 12-14 stops of dynamic range (the ratio between the maximum and minimum measurable light intensities), and captures a slice in time with the limited view in front of it. The human eye by comparison is supposedly capable of capturing 30 stops of DR, but only 10 stops at a time (much like the camera view), but as your eyes take in the scene the brain assembles those "snapshots" into a combined image.

Light trails are fun. One I did from awhile back https://flic.kr/p/CtKAex
Thanks for taking the time to answer, much appreciated. More fun stuff to carry on with :).

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If you'd taken the same shot earlier in the blue hour when the ambient light in the sky is brighter you would have been able to capture all the elements within the dynamic range of your sensor. I tend to shoot urban nightscapes around three quarters of an hour after sunset while there is still a decent amount of light in the sky.

As an example...

DSC_2838-Edit.jpg

herne

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If you'd taken the same shot earlier in the blue hour when the ambient light in the sky is brighter you would have been able to capture all the elements within the dynamic range of your sensor. I tend to shoot urban nightscapes around three quarters of an hour after sunset while there is still a decent amount of light in the sky.

As an example...

View attachment 314129
Interesting. There's so much to discover and experiment with, great tip thanks.

imagesBV

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I concur with the above....either effect is good......all black sky is good if you frame for that....but the blue hour is best for the type of shot as per Minor problem's excellent shot of the Kelpies above.
Its great to experiment....even try double exposures...so you could expose something else in the area that is otherwise black