• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

light weight travel tripod recomendations

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Hello All,

Im going on holiday to Thailand in a few weeks and will mostly be traveling by motorbike (if I can suss out how to ride one :) ). So I need to find a way to travel light, i'e get all my camera stuff and clothes into a back pack.

My tripod and head will be far too big and bulky for this, so im looking for something that will be more compact, but not completely useless.

Does any one have any recommendations for tripod and heads to check out?

cheers

Last edited:

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
I've a Benro IT15 kit, though I think it's been superseded now, and for most of my stuff for the last four years it's been my main tripod. It's a tad over a kilo, and about the length of the 70-200 when folded down but served me well enough for scooting up and down mountains with a D(x)00 series Nikon and wides on there. It also comes with an arca-swiss ball head, and it's got a monopod option as well.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
I've a Benro IT15 kit, though I think it's been superseded now, and for most of my stuff for the last four years it's been my main tripod. It's a tad over a kilo, and about the length of the 70-200 when folded down but served me well enough for scooting up and down mountains with a D(x)00 series Nikon and wides on there. It also comes with an arca-swiss ball head, and it's got a monopod option as well.
Cheers Sean, I shall check it out

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
G'day Steve

Talk to dr google for "manfrotto mini tripods" ... I have one that will fit into my trouser pocket, its ball head allows all the usual movements etc.
I find it very useful sited on table tops, car bonnets, I hold it horizontally on a wall with the ball / camera reset to landscape position and by holding tight it works "real-well mate"

Hope this helps
Phil

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Another option is a bean bag. One you can empty and fill as needed. Done that myself and just filled it with cheap grain or whatever at locations where I needed it. Also carried a little table top tripod for the few times I needed one.

Oh, and make sure you have really good travel insurance for when you fall off the bike. Some will not cover you for riding bikes but it it often hidden deep in the small print. Friend of mine stacked it in Vietnam and ended up with a new mortgage to get himself home. All he did was fracture his pelvis but it cost him £35k as his insurance was cack.

imagesBV

have you considered a Gorillapod....1k 3k or 5k load....probably the smallest option and the legs can be wrapped around something at height rather than have traditional telescopic legs....

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
Also consider a Platypod. Hard to get smaller and it's quite stable once you find something to put it on or strap it to.

Blofeld

Forum Photobomber
I’ve got a 3 legged Corey, very good in comparison to other travel tripods.... small and light with a really nice twist lock action on the legs.
However, as with any travel tripod don’t expect to be taking long exposures and finding pin sharp images, it’s just not going to happen with any of them.
If you just need one for this particular trip, you’re welcome to borrow it.... I won’t need it again until the end of November.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Cheers for all the suggestions. At present im still swaying towards something bigger then a bean bag / table top thing

Thanks for the offer @Blofeld ill let you know. Still need to prove things up . But if it turns out that it’s a one trip only thing I’ll let you know .

John-oh

Feisol travel tripods are worth a look. Carbon fibre though, so expensive.
(Link deleted)
They are actually made in Taiwan

Last edited by a moderator:

Snips

Always on
Velbon DF 50

That's what my "cheapy" is. My wife bought it for me a few years ago and if I'm really honest, it's served me really well.

Yes, I have heavy Manfrotto stuff but that Velbon takes some beating.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Could you buy one of those really expensive peak design ones so we can get an honest review please.

A friend has one of the three legged thing travel tripods and they looks superb as well as being really light. They have some ex demo ones on sale on their website at the moment

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Could you buy one of those really expensive peak design ones so we can get an honest review please.
I don't think you'll be seeing a lot of honest reviews (based on real people throwing their own money at it) on that Peak for a long while, Phil; I've looked at them a lot as I really like the concept but it neither falls in to the modular travel tripod concept nor does it fit in the full size concept either... And at 550€ at the moment, it's going to be facing a lot of stiff competition on both sides. For that sort of scratch/spec a 3LT Brian looks a veritable bargain and would still leave quite a chunk of change to go out travelling somewhere to go test it out!

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
I don't think you'll be seeing a lot of honest reviews (based on real people throwing their own money at it) on that Peak for a long while, Phil; I've looked at them a lot as I really like the concept but it neither falls in to the modular travel tripod concept nor does it fit in the full size concept either... And at 550€ at the moment, it's going to be facing a lot of stiff competition on both sides. For that sort of scratch/spec a 3LT Brian looks a veritable bargain and would still leave quite a chunk of change to go out travelling somewhere to go test it out!
It was meant a little tongue in cheek. It is silly priced for what it is IMO. I am sure with development it could be a good concept, but not at that price.

The 3LT place is just up the road from me, so I tend to see quite a few of them around. The LEO at £179 in carbon looks great, as does the Brian. Not sure I would use the removable leg monopod option on the LEO but I am sure it would come in handy for many.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
thanks all for the recommendations. I went the 3 legged thing one that @Blofeld recommended in the end. It arrived today. Not had chance to try it out yet, but the general build size and weight is spot on.

Should be perfect for my trip and also to bring on long walks with me.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
thanks all for the recommendations. I went the 3 legged thing one that @Blofeld recommended in the end. It arrived today. Not had chance to try it out yet, but the general build size and weight is spot on.

Should be perfect for my trip and also to bring on long walks with me.
If it gets you out with the camera more (my traveller did) than what the full size one does (yeah, you know that thought of "Can't be ****ed to lug the big one...") then it's worth it!