1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules
  1. Stanli Jane

Stanli Jane Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A couple Lightroom questions:

1. So I have the saved metadata box checked under catalog settings, but is it true that in order for me to access the changes outside of LR that I have to export every single photo that I edit? Is there a way to have the edits applied to the original file so that I don't have two files and don't have to do this extra tedious step?

2. When exporting files back to original location with changes, I have been saving as jpeg (photos mostly taken with phone camera). Some of these files are way too big and won't save if I try to limit the file size. What is the proper way/ size to save files for use in social media (from LR), and how does this differ from if I wanted to print the image out in say a photo book to give to a client?

2. Snips

IOTM

Snips Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    1. ...

I'll preface all of this with "I think"!! :)

1. I'm not 100% sure about this but I think if you import into Lr as jpegs then the changes are made to those jpegs. If you import raw files then Lr will create dng files (Adobe's workable version of raw files for want of a better expression) then the changes will be made to the dng files. The exported files will be jpeg files. Thus you have three sets, raw, dng and jpegs.

Lr does have the facility to do things in batches though from the grid, in the Library module. So you can select all the files, or a varied bunch of them and export as a single exercise/click session as opposed to exporting them all individually.

2. In the export dialog box there are various settings you can choose and among these are reducing the file size in Mb and file size in longest side. I tend to use 800px and max 235kb for the settings for a Facebook photograph. For printing, in round terms you multiply the size of print you want by 300 to print at a good DPI (dots per inch). For example, a 6"x4" photo will bee 6x300 by 4x300, or 1,800px x 1,200px. This isn't strictly 100% accurate but it does work.

As I said earlier ... I think :)

Stanli Jane likes this.
  3. Stanli Jane

Stanli Jane Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Okay thanks a bunch!

4. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I am mobile right now and it makes it hard to type a long response. I will do so when I am home. I have questions on your workflow, etc, that may lead to some useful tips to help you. The whole "in two places" thing makes me think there is a simpler way for you.

Stanli Jane likes this.
  5. Stanli Jane

Stanli Jane Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Right now I am trying to sort through all of my own personal photos (mostly being kept on numerous flash drives and memory cards - yikes) and simultaneously learn LR.
    I like the ease of use for tweaking images and being able to access everything quickly through LR but I wish I didn't have to export an image every time I move around a few levels.
    Ugh.

6. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You don't need to export. If you are going to use LR you keep track of all of your photos, no matter where they are stored, in LR. I export to Nik, or HDR software, or even sometimes to Photoshop but I always come back to LR because they all have plugins for LR so it is very easy, no separate export and import, no duplicates. I only export if I need to upload somewhere like here. Then I delete the export. For Flickr, Facebook and even Instagram I use a plugin in LR (most are built-in).

Stanli Jane likes this.
  7. Stanli Jane

Stanli Jane Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Oh okay, yes I understand what you mean now. I hadn't tried to use the media plugins but I suppose I should, it'll probably simplify everything for me. Thanks a bunch!

8. Snips

IOTM

Snips Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    In Lightroom, if you right click on an image, choose Edit in that will open the pic up in that package (Photoshop or Color Efex or whatever) and when you save it, it will keep a copy in Lr for you so you'll have the original and the edit next to each other, assuming you use the Capture Time in the Sort menu (bottom of the page in Grid, shortcut key G).

DonS and Stanli Jane like this.
  9. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, a lot of programs will use a copy created in LR. I usually use TIFF's as they are not as compressed as a jpg. The advantage of doing it all from LR is that you do not have to worry about moving files, etc, it is all taken care of.

Stanli Jane likes this.
  10. Stanli Jane

Stanli Jane Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yeah it certainly seems like it's set up to make everything work more efficiently, just have to get the hang of it. Thanks guys!

11. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Is everything working out now? Hopefully we have you on a more streamlined approach.

Stanli Jane likes this.
  12. Stanli Jane

Stanli Jane Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes thank you for checking back! Getting the hang of the basics and layout much better now. Something I have found though, and maybe there is a better way that I don't know of, is that when I plug up a device to upload a few images off of it (say my phone to computer or whatever), it takes forever to load everything in the LR import window. It ends up being much faster to drag and drop from the file explorer and then synchronize the file in LR.
    Could just be that I have a super slow/ old computer.

13. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It is a bit slower, it is copying and reading all the data at once. If you are building 1:1 previews at the import stage (option in the left panel on the import screen) I only ever read from memory cards in a card reader so I do not have much of a comparison. I did just import 320 photos, all raw format, from one day and it only took a few minutes.

Stanli Jane likes this.