• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Lightroom Linux alternative

dimitris

Well i ve been using lightroom from Adobe, for the last couple of months, to manage my photos library. i mostly use it to develop quickly / embed metadata, and export with persets.
My laptop is linux based, and i wanted to get some of this job done through it. i have seen few alternatives sites offer, but i wanted an opinion from someone that uses something in Linux

The alternatives i have found are:
Darktable
RawTherapee
digiKam

Have you tried any of these? any other ideas maby?

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Try them they dont cost anything

I have tried Darktable seemed ok but I work mainly with windows so use Lightroom.

I have used the Gimp and Raw therapee they worked OK

D.Sant

Always on
Funny!!!... I searched for lightroom linux alternatives and this post was one of the links. Here is a few more:

AfterShot Pay option
Gimp Reviews says it is very complete for the PRO photographer but, lack tools for mass editing.
Shotwell Very simple
Fotoxx Looks good for management
F-Spot Very simple, still got effects and so on...
Photivo It offers the most flexible and powerful denoise, sharpen and local contrast (fake HDR)... So, they said
UFRaw It comes as a standalone tool, but can also be integrated as a plugin for the photo editing software GIMP.
Pinta The linux version of Paint
Photoshop WINE Or simply run Photoshop in Linux with this Windows emulator for Linux environment!! Haven't look at details yet but, if it can run PS, it has to be able to run LR.

Last edited:

D.Sant

Always on
A few links to how to run PS in Ubuntu... Working on this right now!

Complete guide to running Photoshop CS6 on Ubuntu 13.10
Running Adobe Photoshop on Wine

I've made a bootable pen drive with tools to backup, recover and fixing tools in general... In the same pen drive I also have an Ubuntu version with music editing programs which I use quite a lot when I'm not in my place and I need to do some music work editing, etc.. Now I got the idea to make a second Ubuntu for photography editing to add to the same pen drive to have a full arsenal of tools to take on my keyring for whatever occasional need.

Tools and guide to make this Pen drive and then just load .iso files on it ready to boot when needed

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
I have RawTherapee version 4.2.26 up and running on my PC. I picked it up as the sharpening algorithms were said to be more advanced than Photoshop or Lightroom. Nice editor, lot of capability, the user interface is significantly different than anything else I've used (there's good and bad with that), and it seems to function quite well.