1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

lightroom question

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by Ms_Tex, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Ms_Tex

Ms_Tex Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I haven't bought any post processing programs yet (the idea of post processing scares me, actually), but I have a couple of questions about lightroom.

1. When I upload files from my SD card into lightroom, will I be able to save them to an external drive instead of on the computer?

2. If #1 is yes, will I be able to retrieve the files on the external drive from a second computer?

3. Can I copy the files from one external drive to a second external drive?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You can do both of those things but there's two ways you can go about it. basicaly Lightroom stores the raw files and also stores the edits you want to do to them.

But it only applies the edits when you export them . So if you want to be able to get at the finished images from the external drive you would export the finished image to drive.

If you want to just store the Raw images in the external drive , it's as simple as moving them
    From one file to an other using Lightroom.

But if you access the raw file from another computer you not see the edits that Lightroom is going to make.

Copying from drive to drive works, but again it best done from Lightroom so it knows where things are.

Lightroom is a very powerful database and great for managing files , but you do have to adhere to its conventions to get the best from it.

It might be better to say what you are trying to achieve, then we can give ideas on how best to set it up with Lightroom in the mix

3. SAVA9E

SAVA9E Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    All my photos are on an external drive, Lightroom just links to them and remembers the edit. That way you still have an unedited original on your external hard drive.

4. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You can see the edits if you set lightroom to create a sidecar file rather in settings then if you move the image you would also move the settings file with it

5. Ms_Tex

Ms_Tex Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have a big laptop which stays at home, and I would use this to do any editing. I have a smaller laptop that I use for school when I travel. I would to upload my images from my SD cards to an external drive (while using my small laptop) and maybe do some basic editing while travelling, then do full edits - if needed - on my bigger laptop once I get home. I would also like to make a backup copy of what I do on a second external drive that I keep at my in-laws' house in case something happens to the first one.

Is this a reasonable plan?

6. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    there is a built in feature to do that very thing

Ms_Tex likes this.
  7. Ms_Tex

Ms_Tex Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you. Now to figure out if I want a stand alone version or CC. Our Internet is spotty, so I'm leaning toward the stand alone version.

8. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You don't need to be online permanently for it. It just checks up on you every now and again.

It's more a matter of whether or not you want to subscribe .

9. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Your other question has been answered so I will hit this. You do not need a constant internet connection. You can go a few weeks without one and LR will work. The CC deal is good because you also get full PhotoShop as well. Also the CC version gets new features with updates and the stand alone does not.