1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Lightroom soft proofing.

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by JBuck, Oct 5, 2016.

1. JBuck

JBuck Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Hoping some of you can help.
    I'm editing in Lightroom and have spent a lot of time getting some of my photos looking exactly as I want them to.
    I'm now looking to print for the first time in years and want to get accurate results, so after having decided on a printer DSCL in my case. I downloaded a paper profile so my images would be correct.
    Once I loaded it I created a virtual softproof copy within lightroom and can see a small colour shift.
    What I'd like to be able to do is see a compare view (with 2 images side by side) one of the original image and the second the current edited version of the soft proof and not the unedited softproof image (as this isn't helpful). Is there any way to do this?
    Hopefully I've explained that well enough.
    Regards
    CC

2. Snips

Snips Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'd love to be able to answer this but I've never understood it.

I think @Ramble Vision and @Ogofmole (?) have looked into this before and know about it. Steve (RV) might not be able to answer for a few days though.

3. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have never used this feature myself, but I could help with most other things!

4. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Using a virtual copy of a soft proof image is an interesting approach of maintaining the original image settings while setting up to print to a specific type of paper. However, you will be challenging Lightroom's workflow concept and fighting settings meant to protect final images. Also, if you are only ever going to print sRGB you might as well make those edits the proof. You may be making more work for yourself than necessary. Here's a similar discussion on The Luminous Landscape.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=99528.0

5. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have not managed to suss out soft proofing in light room and instead use photoshop.

One thing that I don't like about Lightroom is you don't see the output sharpening before output as it does it in export.

Where's in Photoshop you can apply the sizing and sharpening prior to export as well as view both versions of the image next to each other.

Another thing I do is save specific asjustents I have made for specific printers and paper types in a group folder so I can turn on and of the relevant adjustments depending on what I'm printing .

So with all these added options In Photoshop I've not really spent the time in LR

there is a fairly extensive video about soft proofing in Lightroom on you tube, I found it when searching for softproofing tutorials , worth a look in there if you haven't allready

Sorry I can't be of more help