• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Lightroom update with performance improvements

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
This seems to be a performance improvement update. It now supports GPU assisted editing in the Develop Module.

Also new:
  • The option to export a file as a PNG using either Lightroom Classic or ACR
  • “Significant improvements … to the Library module while browsing folders” should speed up Lightroom Classic even more.
  • The ability to add color labels to collections
  • The ability to batch merge images to create HDR, Panoramas, and HDR Panoramas
EDIT:

Lightroom Classic
As part of our on-going effort to improve speed and performance in Lightroom Classic, significant improvements were made to the Library module while browsing folders.

Missed the above.

https://theblog.adobe.com/august-photography-releases/ (not up at the time I posted but should come back)

Last edited:

johnnypanic

I'm hopeful, that this improvement, will actually be worth it. I think, many people are at the point (especially with LR), that if significant improvements in usability are not made, they'll be jumping ship.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Just updated mine after finally sitting down and watching the logs so I could see where the dreaded 44 error was kicking in. Seems a lot better than what I'd got previous but at the same time it doesn't seem to be masses better; but I've not hit it with any big batches yet, that'll be the weekend.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
I'm hopeful, that this improvement, will actually be worth it. I think, many people are at the point (especially with LR), that if significant improvements in usability are not made, they'll be jumping ship.
I think they are and that is why this is happening, finally. I installed this morning but did not have a chance to test. I will test tonight if I have time.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Ah, there's something new... Under the GPU settings in preferences there are a few more settings to be able to scale GPU performance on supported cards and now there's an option for image processing (Process V5 and above) on the GPU. I don't know if that makes a difference but it's sure an excuse to buy a Vega!

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Ah, there's something new... Under the GPU settings in preferences there are a few more settings to be able to scale GPU performance on supported cards and now there's an option for image processing (Process V5 and above) on the GPU. I don't know if that makes a difference but it's sure an excuse to buy a Vega!
It makes sense to use come GPU power to help along the development module.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
It makes sense to use come GPU power to help along the development module.
Just been playing around on it with the 580 and it does seem to be a little bit quicker on a few things; and with the GPU fully kicked in, it seems to be a bit quicker exporting an edited TIFF with a lot of spot removal, transform, clarity and dehaze thrown on to it for good measure. It could be my imagination that things are a bit quicker, but today was the first time since I built this rig that I've actually heard the GPU fans spool apart from that little pause at boot.