1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Lightroom

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by steve b, Jan 8, 2017.

1. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don't use Lightroom, I don't have a clue how to either. I'm being left behind I feel, so I need to bite the bullet and get learning.

But, I'm confused - I Google Lightroom and all sorts of different stuff comes up.

I want basic Lightroom, no bells and whistles, I don't want PS CC.

Will some kind soul give me a link please :)

2. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    HA HA I cant find a stand alone :( on the adobe site

steve b likes this.
  3. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  4. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ihope you get a stand alone one Steve. I did when it was at 5.

It's a good program no doubt about it, and is the start of my workflow but it is for me counter intuitive. There are several irate lightroom threads here started by me!
    put this into the search box top right and you will see! Might get you some answers for yourself when you get going

upload_2017-1-8_22-34-4.png

steve b likes this.
  5. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Perhaps a copy off eBay?

I think version 5 was a good one with many features, if it's affordable for you.

steve b likes this.
  6. steve b

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks everyone, I should have taken the offer when Stemmy linked it. When I log into my Adobe account it grabs me by the throat and tries to drag me to CC, LOL. Using the link Paul kindly found takes me to version 6 for £103, if needs must I'll go down that route.

But not before looking on the forum for the stuff Steve mentioned. I will take a look at eBay Ed, thanks.

7. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Personally I'd avoid any Tenchy threads on Lightroom. For an intelligent and technically very capable bloke he's a total dolt when it comes to one of the most straight forward and comprehensive bits of software available for us togs. :roll:

Snips likes this.
  8. steve b

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)

I think the term is over-educated Barry, but I shall enjoy reading them all the same :)

9. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The thing about using Lightroom effectively, is to use it as the centre of your photographic processing workflow. Anything else and you are wasting it in my opinion. You start and end in Lightroom. If I am doing a lot of work on a photo that requires me to go into PS and something else like Nik, I start in LR, do the PS, back to LR, then do the Nik. Not often I have that happen, but if and when it does that is how I do it. If you are not using it as the centre to catalogue your photos and sort, etc, them then you might as well just use PS and Bridge. All the RAW processing you can do in LR you can do in ACR in PS (but not PSE, it does not have all features).

steve b likes this.
  10. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There are only ads of places selling Lightroom 6. I just googled it.
    About getting left behind, I wouldn't worry about that, looking at some of the questions and answers that come up on here.
    You have Elements which will do a lot more than people imagine, it's just a case of knowing where to find it.
    There are work around that would amaze you Steve
    As long as you have software that reads your RAW files then I would stick to Elements.
    I posted a video for you earlier and Ed commented how simple it was to do. Only when you know how mate.
    It's like techie stuff that does it automatically for you but then WOULD you put your camera into automatic, no you want to control it and it should be the same with PP'ing your photos.
    You might want it but you certainly don't need it.

steve b likes this.
  11. steve b

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for all the replies, I don't have a massive workflow, or even a small one, I tend to take a few individual shots and work on those in Elements. In my monthly mag (Practical Photography, which I get free with a bank acc), most of the tutes are in Lightroom or Adobe CC, maybe I thought I was missing out, on reflection Elements 13 is fine, I miss some of the features of my old CS3 though, but as you say Pete @oldgeezer there's usually a simple way, if you know how.

12. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The newer Elements do a lot more than the old CS3 Steve. The selection tools alone make life easier but also the inclusion of the Layer Mask in Elements was a great boon.

13. steve b

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I was thinking about things like the patch tool, Pete. Although the spot healer can be used in the same way, I've discovered, by moving it about, mouse pressed. Manual conversion to mono was better using the colour sliders, although using Nik gets me where I want to be generally. PS to me is a huge tool box, I only use a small handful.

14. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Honestly Steve, unless you are into heavy manipulation or compositing images, there is only so much you need.
    It's a standard industry tool so it is a top pro software.
    We used to do everything manual a few versions back, the modern tools just make life easy. There was no such thing as ACR.
    If you have good photos to start with, what do you really need. You can't make a silk purse etc.

steve b likes this.
  15. slipper

slipper Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I came up against not being able to get a standalone copy, except at that ridiculous price so succumbed to the CC and at least its the same cost for about a year with all updates thrown in... and of course you have PS to play with if it interests you, baffles me mind, but its a challenge.

steve b likes this.
  16. jamos71

jamos71 Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Good morning Steve, I am currently learning Lightroom from an excellent book - The Digital Negative by Jeff Schewe. Really good so far. Presuming you shoot in RAW of course.

steve b likes this.
  17. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    sage advice, take heed :)