1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Linking/posting FlickR images

Discussion in 'The Computer Clinic Forum' started by Jason, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Anyone else having probs getting FlickR images/links to display on the forum. I’ve just tried to post one and the preview thread is just showing the dreaded red cross in a box - no image. I’ve done the same as I’ve always done - get BB code for image at 1024x - but have had trouble last few times I’ve tried to post, both before and after switching from Yahoo.

I’m aware that it’s preferred to post images directly into threads via upload rather than link but I edit my pics on iMac, shove on FlickR and leave for a while to look for editing mistakes. When I post on forums I just do it on an iPad via FlickR link. To post direct would mean going back on iMac, resizing etc. It’s a faff I’d rather avoid.

2. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The problem may be the file size, ie kb. Forum will reject it if over 250kb

Jason likes this.
  3. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Direct from Flickr at 1024 pixels. I never have a problem, but apparently everyone else does.

[​IMG]100_1092 by NearNorth, on Flickr

Jason likes this.
  4. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I will try one if someone can tell me how i link it?
    Its ok found it

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  5. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is the bb code from my flickr, but looks like the exif is stripped.[​IMG]IMG_3882a by frebel06r, on Flickr
    Paul

Jason and Roger S like this.
  6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I can no longer post pictures using the desktop at work - it's using IE11 (locked in by IT) and that prevents me getting the links at Flickr.
    No problems at home (using BB code) but I don't try to link images bigger than 1000 pixels either.

Jason likes this.
  7. Jason

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just tried again. Oddly, the forum has stored the post I was making, as a draft I guess, and the image has been added to the draft, I can see the photo. I click the ‘preview’ button to have a look and the red cross is back in place of the image even though the photo is in the draft text.

What size do you folks upload to FlickR? I put full size on there, for storage purposes. Following Brian’s comment above about image sizes I though that might be it but the pano I posted a while back was much bigger and linked fine. I don’t get why some work, some don’t. I’ve always used the same method - bb code and 1024x

8. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day Jason

As our mate Roger knows full well - I have had heaps & heaps of issues trying to upload images LESS THAN 250kb to the site and they have failed time & again. I'm sick of it and I believe that the site has a problem with its forum software

The same image can upload to 2 other foto forums with the same 250kb limit - but here I get rejections - [grumble + 4-letter words]

If you want, go to my user-name & chase my postings - you'll find the experiments and screen dumps ALL showing that a file of 200~220kb or so, has been rejected time and again

Phil

Jason and Roger S like this.
  9. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Didn't have a problem linking this first time, 1024 size selected. Like Paul says though, it does strip EXIF.

[​IMG]heron#2 by Brian Jenkins, on Flickr

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Jason likes this.
  10. Jason

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  11. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    [​IMG]That Cottage. by Jason, on Flickr
    Just getting the size (1024) is only one part ..... It's showing as 352k so file size too big. @Jason

Jason likes this.
  12. Jason

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ok. I thought the file size limit only applied to uploaded images, not linked off-forum. Hopefully that solves it. :)

13. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That certainly used to be the case.

14. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It was over a year ago that forum software updated. At that time, it started restricting the kb limits on linked images as well.

Jason likes this.
  15. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's typical of 'updates' where they make some bits worse the up bit is debatable.

16. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I believe it was announced at the time as one of the changes. I believe it was supposed to limit linked images before but it did not work.

Roger S likes this.
  17. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm not surprised, the convenience of linked images means they will be preferred by many of us. The alternative has frequently just been to not share images at all.

18. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This forum has survived since 2006 using uploaded images, and it still functions. Those images are still visible today. I have managed two other forums where linked only is the preferred method, and both of those forums are basically useless because of broken links, removed links, and defunct hosting sites. Our preferred method is for yours to be uploaded, but if you prefer not to, then you're free to do as you wish. We don't demand it.

19. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Have you conducted a poll ?

Roger S likes this.
  20. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Uploaded images need to be stored by the forum, and the overheads for this become significant for smaller forums.
    If this isn't an issue it would make sense for forum software to keep a moderate resolution copy of linked images to be used if the link fails - but I guess that could be a pain to program & may have copyright issues...

No but I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses the forum from multiple computers. I don't have my favourite photos on every computer I use, so can't upload them directly if I'm on the wrong PC. (Again this is bound to apply to others).

Down loading the image to my current PC then uploading it to the forum is a faff. I've done it a couple of times on different forums, but generally just keep the image to myself instead.
    As Flickr gets more & more difficult to use the forums issue might go away from Flickr's changes - it's now pretty much unusable on IE11 (which I currently have to use at work) and the 1000 image limit becomes significant if you've been using it for many years...
    Many of the older images in my stream are only there because they've probably been posted to forums in the past.

21. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes I'm pretty sure you are not the only one, but how many this is a problem for we just don't know, I would not think it is many as we don't get lots of feedback on this .... perhaps you could start a poll in the Photography Chat Forum...

Paul

22. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I feel for you, on both issues. I did not think anywhere was still forcing IE! I have not worked anywhere that did that since before 2010 or there about.