1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

location advice, Northumbrian Coast

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Ramble Vision, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Hello,

Im planning on going up to the Northumbrian coast in a couple of months. Fancy getting some seascape images. I have never been that way before so wondering anyone can give me some advice on where to go.

Banborough castle is the obvious place, but other then that any suggestions will be appeciated. Tips on places for a base would be good as well as actual togging locations

cheers

2. ed taylor

ed taylor Super Ed Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The farne islands are worth a boat trip too.

Ramble Vision likes this.
  3. Mr Tee

Mr Tee Active Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Bamburgh Castle is a great location, make sure you check it out from all angles. You should also take a look at Lindisfarne (Holy Island). Check the tide times as you can only get on to the island when the tide is out. The are several locations around Lindisfarne castle to shoot.

lindisfarne-castle2-copy.jpg

4. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Active Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That is so good, Mr Tee. Totally agree about the locations, and would add Warkworth to it.

5. Mr Tee

Mr Tee Active Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I should have added, the best place to stay if you want to shoot On Holy Island, is Holy Island. That way you can be sure of getting the best light and not have to worry about the tides.

6. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think @paulmag has done this coast a few times

7. Violaman

Violaman Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well, to be honest you are spoilt for choice!

The whole Northumberland coast from Berwick in the north to Seaton Sluice in the south has something to recommend itself. The area around Holy Island is a must and would take in Lindisfarne, the Farne Islands, Bamburgh and Dunstanburgh Castles as well as the villages and small harbours around Seahouses so there is certainly enough to fill your time in. There is the seven mile long beach at Druridge Bay with opportunities for wildlife photography and there are more castles in the area than you can shake a stick at. A drive of three quarters of an hour or so south could get you to St Mary's Island and Tynemouth in the county of Tyne & Wear as well as the very photogenic city of Newcastle upon Tyne.

If you get a bit sick of the sea, you can be in the middle of the Northumberland National Park if you drive west for half an hour.

From a photographic point of view, I would stay in the north of the county where you would have the choice of cottages, caravans, hotels or tents to suit your preference.

I am not a member of the Northumberland Tourist Board, but just have the pleasure of living in this wonderful county!

8. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Steve,

I'd recommend basing yourself in or around Seahouses, easy access to

Bamburgh Castle - Park here (55.611569, -1.717179)

Dunstanburgh Castle - make sure you park here (55.494863, -1.614503) and walk the beach towards the castle for changing compositions. At the far end of the beach is the black boulder beach which is a great spot for compositions.

You can get a boat trip to the farne Islands from Seahouses harbour and it is awesome, for Puffins you're better of going April-May but there's tons of wildlife out the all the time.

Holy Island is about 40 minutes up the coast and definitely worth a visit but as mentioned you've only got a couple of hours either side of low tide to get across the causeway!

That section of coast is miles of beautiful white sand beaches and dunes, a photography paradise.

9. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Active Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    We stayed in the Warkworth House Hotel a few years ago when we went up there - it's dog-friendly which was important for us, our Collie could stay in our room and could come to the bar with us when we went for meals. Really liked it there, would stay again.

10. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    No
    sorry for the late reply, not had chance to sit down all type anything all weekend.

Thanks all for the information and suggestions, this is the exact help I was hoping for. I will pick through this afternoon and come up with a plan.

thanks again

11. davcoll

davcoll Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Steve , check Thomas Heaton's youtube channel he lives in the North East.

Dave

12. Stephen F

Stephen F Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You are in for a treat Steve , any where between Whitley bay (St mary's light house ) Berwick on tweed you are spoilt for choice , there are beaches that go on for miles and almost deserted and as already mentioned that many castles and remains to shake a stick at. There is lots inland as well with Alnwick Castle and well worth a visit is Gragside . What ever you decide you will want to go back , i know i do and if possible i will this year. a couple of images to whet your appetite Steve.

St Marys Lighthouse.

st mary,s.jpg

Dunstanburgh castle

IMGP2878.jpg

3 Bridge's Berwick on Tweed

3 bridges  berwick on tweed.jpg

13. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    No
    yes I watch his channel already but was not completely sure where hes based. Had a felling it was around that way . They are nice beaches he goes to when he does local trips though.

Cheers for tips stephen, nice example shots to. looking forward to it.

Mind you I had it all booked and I have just been told by work I wont be in the country that weekend so I need to make new plans... and here was me trying to be organised for a change and get stuff sorted ahead of time.... meh

Stephen F likes this.