1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Long exposures with no tripod

Discussion in 'Photography Tips, Tricks & Tutorials Forum' started by blackjet, Feb 24, 2012.

1. blackjet

blackjet Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    For your perusal some techniques for shooting long exposures with no tripod here:

[deleted]

~Drew

2. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
  3. neilstaylor

neilstaylor Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    You would get locked up standing or sitting like that round here!

4. Fidorkax

Fidorkax Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    I have recently come back from Lapland, got lucky enough to see amazing display of Northern lights. And guess what?? I forgot my tripod! I still ended up having good enough pictures using various spots to steady my camera, even couple of 'artistic' handheld ones ha ha ha.

5. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    you lucky person seeing the lights! Very jealous.

Let's see the pics!

6. blackjet

blackjet Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    lol at having my link deleted for not having 50 posts and then immediately having the link re-posted. Hope someone finds value in it anyway! :)

7. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    as a general rule under 50 posts are not allowed to link.

But links that are of general interest, the mods can repost it under their discretion.
    I felt the link was useful to the members, and thanks for sharing.

8. Reece_P

Reece_P Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Lol some funky and crazy stances there.

9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Well-Known Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Dont think I can read nor take the article seriously having the guy with the camera 'present' himself like that, some of those poses are proper odd, lol

10. chaz

chaz Old Hand Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    A big read for such a basic function and you learn to look like Louie Thpence :)

11. biglee33

biglee33 Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    can see me standing like some of those at shows............... and being asked to leave. will stick to my air filled cheeks like pob and looking odd lol

12. Shane Lewis

Shane Lewis Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    I wonder how he focuses with his free hand full length under the lens ?

13. smccullagh

smccullagh Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    I laughed at some of those poses! Surely perfecting your stance / COG and holding your elbows tight against your body does the job? Or am I over simplifying this?

14. Devrij

Devrij Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    I thought some of it was relevant, and one thing I observed in my own experience that was pointed out was the shutter squeeze technique. I use continuous most of the time, and when shooting low light I always hold the shutter for a few shots and find the second shot is sharper after the initial resistance of the squeeze is passed. I don't have any long lenses yet, but the "c-clamp" is something I'll be trying, along with the other "poses" :p If it helps me get a decent shot where I would've had a soft throw-away then I'll pose a bit camp. :)

15. sibo

sibo Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    that man is a squaddie, ex squaddie or ta, A lot of what he is talking about is the marksmenship principles that we teach to our recruits.

The Weapon (oops I mean camera) must point naturally at the target.
    The position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon (dam it camera again)
    Sight alignment and sight picture must be correct
    the shot must be released and followed through without any undue disturbance to the weapon (jeez I just cant get it right)

16. jessyjones

jessyjones Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    haha... although i admit to gettiong myself into some random positions to get decent photos... the 'duckbutt' one made me chuckle