• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Looking at new camera

lyonsy

Hi all.
Im thinking of getting the nikon D850.
But i'm not sure if all my lenses from my old Nikon D7200 will work on the D850.

The lenses.
SIGMA 105mm 1:2.8 DG macro HSM
Nikon DX AF-S 35mm 1:1.8G
Nikon AF-S 50mm 1:1.8G
Nikon ED AF-S 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G
Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 APO DG.

Any info would be Appreciated.

Skyshot

Premium Member
The Sigmas possibly and the 50mm yes. The rest no. :(

I don't have the 850, I have the 810 (850 next year I hope), but when I changed to FF all my lenses had to go too.

The bigger sensor and higher resolution will show the smallest of problems with any lens.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
I am pretty sure the only one that won't work is the DX 35mm, you could use it in DX mode but it would be pointless. The Sigma's will deffo work and I am positive the 70-300 will work too but the results won't be stellar. The D850 is an awesome machine but it requires the very best glass to get the best out of it. You really need pro 2.8 zooms or a raft of primes to do it justice.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
He could use it in DX mode for any lenses that need it and as they get replaced switch.
As I said, it will work but it would be like putting mini wheels on a ferrari, the performance would be shocking when compared to a proper decent ff prime. As would the 70-300, it is a full frame lens and will work but it's not a great performer and the 47mp D850 will show all it's flaws if you look at an image in any sort of detail. Putting a £300 zoom on a £3000 camera isn't likely to lead to great results.

Jason

Always on
Premium Member
Why do you want the D850? What does/will it offer over your current camera? As Barry has said, you’ll need to throw some money at glass to make it a worth while upgrade. Are you happy to buy the lenses as well?

lyonsy

Thanks for the comments.
I finally got the D850. All the lenes work fine appart from the Nikon DX AF-S 35mm 1:1.8G
Have not tried the Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 APO DG I know it worked on the nikon D7200.
This lens does have a aperture rin on the botoom were the mount is.
Do not want to attach it in case it damages the body.

Again.
Thanks for all your comments.

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
Congratulations on your new camera. You will at some point want a higher resolution and faster lens, take your time, and find the focal length that you most commonly use.

lyonsy

Congratulations on your new camera. You will at some point want a higher resolution and faster lens, take your time, and find the focal length that you most commonly use.
Yes I am already looking.
This lens for wildlife. Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 Contemporary DG OS HSM
Any suggestions would help.
My interests are WILDLIFE LANDSCAPE photography.

Last edited:

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
The Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 Contemporary is a nice lens, it is not a high resolution lens such as the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art Lens or the Sigma 24-35mm f/2 DG HSM Art Lens. What I mean by a high resolution lens is one with great MTF in the 20-40 line pairs per mm range. These lenses resolve fine detail with strong contrast. Some Nikon lenses meeting this criteria include Nikon's AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens and their AF DC-NIKKOR 135mm f/2D Lens.