1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

lowering flash strength

Discussion in 'Studio Lighting Forum' started by Randall8, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Randall8

Randall8 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've got a basic Newer flash and the in the manual mode, the lowest setting is 1/128... which in a lot of cases is still too strong.

Is there a way to make it even less strong ?

Logically, it should be possible..

Alternatively, do more expensive flashes have a wider range of intensities ?

2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Use a trigger and place your flash further away from the subject.

3. Randall8

Randall8 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    ok, that means there's actually no way to turn it down ?

4. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Randall8 likes this.
  5. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  6. Activ8

Activ8 I made the 1,000,000 th post

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    1/128 is usually the lowest settings for most speedlites. As others have said... power can be reduced by diffusion or distance. You can also use a neutral density filter on the lens or an ND gel on the flash itself. Lastly if your speedlite offers HSS (hi speed sync) mode then you can use this as the multiple flash discharges caused by HSS do reduce the overall flash power by around a third.

Randall8 likes this.
  7. Randall8

Randall8 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    ok, I understand.
    @Roger S thanks for the link.

Kind of stupid though.. would've never imagined it's not possible. I mean, how hard is it to decrease power output (in general).

I'll look into getting a remote trigger then, pop the flash on a tripod + have a diffuser..

Roger S likes this.
  8. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    What Fstop and ISO are you using.

9. Activ8

Activ8 I made the 1,000,000 th post

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The reason they don't go lower is to do with the flash tube as they only have a certain range of operation and they would need multiple tubes to cover the range. The other reason is that it is not really needed. At 1/128 power a typical 100-150 guide speed light would not be much more powerful than a reasonable LED torch or even typical office lighting. If you needed it to freeze action with a short flash duration then flash is your friend but at really low levels you are better with continuous lighting.

Andy 0 and MikeB like this.
  10. riddell

riddell Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    The don't go lower as technically it would make things more complex and expensive. The other reason is that you don't need to.

Others have already given you great advice, move it further away, diffuse, use and ND filter, bounce or whatever.
    You can also lower the ISO on your camera, raise the shutter speed or reduce the apature.

And of course a combination of any or indeed all of the above.

What are you trying to do that requires such minimal flash power?

11. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    1/128th of the power of a speedlight is quite low? I have never gone that low I don't think.
    What ISO are you using?
    What aperture?
    Both will affect the light required.
    Your options are increase distance from flash to subject, lower ISO, reduce aperture (bigger F number) and add a plain ND.

12. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's the camera settings that need to be looked at here.

All the technical speedlight advice means nothing without knowing the ratio of ISO and fstop.

13. Geeman

Geeman Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    No
    As above....and technically you aren't lowering the power, just the duration of the flash....sorry if that's obvious