• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Lr 5

Well LR5 has been out for a week now how is everyone finding it? What do you like about it?

Although only basically been playing with it since down loading to understand the new features, I'm impressed. LR 4 was a major upgrade from 3 but LR 5 is nowhere as dramatic bu the features it has enhanced & added are excellent. Firstly the smart Catelog, great for when I switch between my MacBook Air & THe IMac of a external disc, so much easier, next the fact you have a brush tool for healing & cloning rather than a round tool saves so much time switching between PS now, even with the Cloud enhancement of a Smart filter to keep it as a DNG rather than a TIFF or PSD. The new Radial Filter is something completely new & although just played with it need to watch some of Scott Kelby's tutorials from the NAPP site to understand fully, what I have seen so far looks a good enhancement especially when switching it from normal to invert. Will allow you to add spot light techniques to images. As I said needs to be played with for to understand & get the best out of it.
One feature I really do like is the new spot finder by switching the Visualize Spots feature on the bottom left you can imediately see your dirty sensor spots but even bettter those dusty lens spots you only find too late when you either darken a light area or add contrast.

Well could write more but contribute your feedback & what you have found to help others here.

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
I don't really do much with catalogues, the new tools make it better that you don't have to go outside LR as much the clone brush works OK depending on where used but an improvement as is the horizon when it doesnt get confused.

Need to go and find the dirty sensor thing never noticed that

Up to now its a bit more useful than it was and worth the upgrade

I also found that custom profiles should be placed here on win 7 C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw

then either in lens or camera profiles I have added one for using a welding glass as a big stopper

Last edited:

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
next the fact you have a brush tool for healing & cloning rather than a round tool saves so much time switching between PS now
Photoshop has a healing brush?

Ogofmole

Always on
I think I will stick to Photoshop, never really got on with Lightroom as I like working with Layers and Masks.

GarryN

Always on
I've been using it for a couple of days but have not had the time to explore the new features and pretty much just been doing what I always do in LR and finishing off in PS

Carmen

Forum Geek :)
Honorary Life Member
I downloaded the trial today. I agree that the update isn't as dramatic as 3-4 but still definitely worth it for me. I like the radial gradient tool and the clone/heal brush is definitely improved over the old spot heal in LR4.

Bazza

Old Hand
Honorary Life Member
I have it too and its a nightmare, the new tools are great, the radial tool is fantastic but there is major errors with it, mine keeps crashing two or 3 times whilst i run through a wedding hitting 1 star for a keeper and nothing for a bin job, the good thing is it has remembered my choices apart from 5 previous images, but thats 5 weddings ive used with it and each wedding its the same.

sibo

Always on
thats quite weird ive been using it now since it came out and not had a single crash but i might just be lucky (touches wood) I'm loving the radial brush but still go into photoshop for healing and patching for most of the work I just find it easier. I love the remove chromatic stuff works well on my tamron lens.

despite several past attempts to work with LR I just couldn't get to grips with it. but finally after succumbing to LR4 after getting a book on both LR and CS6 ( scott Kelby ) I finally find it a useful tool though still only for the basics acting pretty much as a viewer for images. Still prefer to do any editing in PS , though most of my PP is actually now done in ACR ( 8.1 is out btw for those people still on ACR 7xxx) . I find ACR tweaks generally enough for my needs unless im working with NIK or Topaz Plugins

powly

Always on
Premium Member
Not upgraded yet, but do have the beta for a few more days. Wondering if it is worth the upgrade (ususally I upgrade every other release, so as I have 4, would not generally go for 5 but wait for 6) but it looks like LR fans say yes. Upgrade is much more affordable now than it has been, so probably will go soon.

HiServe

Always on
With the wedding I did I found lr really useful. I had hundreds of images to look through, but could not get a significant length of uninterrupted time. I set the filter to equal a rating if 0, then quickly go through tapping numbers - 1 means not a keeper (so it disappears from view), 2 means I'll use only if there is not a better one with that person/event), 3 I will use unless I find its too similar to another one or I have too many, 4 is I am really happy, 5 would be a wow but I don't normally get those. Doing it that way I can instantly see where I have hot to when interrupted.

I add a green (by tapping 8) when I have edited a photo.

95% of processing is carried out in lr (with a few trips to portrait professional for close ups & nik for b&w). I even managed to remove no smoking stickers from the car window in lr5.

I have just found how you can remove a few pounds with the new aspect slider!

Bazza

Old Hand
Honorary Life Member
Sounds the same as my workflow, my only difference is i just use one star then when editing wb/exp i look over the couple and unstar them if not wanting, then create full size jpegs, then websize, also just created templates for my albums on the print page part and contact sheets instead of using faststone...... going to look at aspect slider though, not sure im aware of that

HiServe

Always on
Aspect slider is in lens corrections, manual. Obviously not designed for slimming, but was watching Jack Davis & he said you can lose 5-10 lbs, but he was right to caution against going too far!

Bazza

Old Hand
Honorary Life Member
ahh yeah, sorry ive been using that quite a bit, and the level tab too, i swear i must have a crooked leg, looks level in camera then way out lol.

royalpython

Always on
I'm on a trial run with it now. The Spot healing tool is a pretty darn good upgrade. I never figured it out in the beta version. This may just eliminate the majority of my needs for photoshop altogether now!! The Nik plugins, photomatix and topaz work in lightroom...

I do find the new photoshop CC antiblur thing can work alright, if it's minor camera shake... is it really worth my upgrade price.... god knows. Adobe are making it cheaper for a photographer, and lightroom + elements is probably all we will need now. I'll probably be getting LR5 just for the new healing brush, and to stop me heading into CS5. CC is still up for debate...

Peely22

Here a lot
Just upgraded yesterday. Spot healing! worth £59 right there. The amount of single circles and frustrations previously gone.

Then there is the new distortion tool! First play this morning - loved it.

eg. Here is an original image from Napoli; the previous best crop I could get; and two new options this morning! Unless I was on a 10ft ladder, it was impossible to get this without distortion. The new auto levelling has given me options now, other than a severe crop.
DSC_0076-3.jpg Original
DSC_0076-2.jpg Previous crop
DSC_0076-4.jpg levelled in LR5
DSC_0076.jpg auto in LR5 (mixing vert with horiz)

Peely22

Here a lot
A great trick in the spot healing is for continuous lines like power lines. cLick one end, Click the other, hey presto!

Last edited: