1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Major security issue with Mac OS 10.13

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by DonS, Nov 28, 2017.

1. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That is the latest version, High Sierra. It seems the root password is blank. Yes, the root user is enabled and has an empty password.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/28/root_access_bypass_macos_high_sierra/

For now you can do this:

As a user with admin access, type the following command from the Terminal

sudo passwd -u root​

Enter your password then a new password for the root user.

2. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This operating system has been a proper comedy of errors since it hit. There's some absolute amazing bits to it, like APFS for one, but then they'll pop up with a daft little niggle or two (like APFS containers showing passwords in the hints field) and it seems like the proper devs were working on the interesting stuff and they'd left the work experience kid to sort out the rest of it.

DonS likes this.
  3. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you want to get really geeky: https://objective-see.com/blog/blog_0x24.html

SeanNeedham likes this.
  4. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've had a read at some of that, bit heavy for an afternoon coffee break but bookmarked it for a proper read when I get an hour or two to kill; when I get five minutes with other folks machines I'll check if they've been afflicted by this and roll fixes, but as there's not a group session planned until the 12th it looks like it'll be a busy afternoon fixing daft little things (always is, and some of the requests verge on the daft!)

DonS likes this.
  5. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I still haven't bothered updating to this one. After the initial incompatibility issues with Wacom tablets I thought I'd wait and see if there were any other cockups before switching. Glad I stayed with Sierra.

6. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  7. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Biggest one I've heard grumbled about is that unless you're right bang up to date on PS (probably affects other older software as well) then the scratch disks aren't supported on the new file system. Not a hard fix mind, but one that most average users wouldn't think of implementing.

The one I'm miffed about is that the new file system doesn't, yet, support Fusion so I've a couple of machines on my list that haven't had the upgrade because it's not really viable to do it yet.

8. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's another problem for me then, one I didn't know about either so thanks for that. I'm running a 1tb/320gb fusion drive setup.

9. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There were a few angry noises about that one; and whilst it is going to arrive (sometime) for Fusion it's not really worth the upgrade from Sierra just yet otherwise.

10. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    sensible chap by sound of it!!

11. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I learnt from the best....

12. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    :)

13. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well, you need a fix for the fix now! If you share files from your Mac you need to fix it.

http://osxdaily.com/2017/11/29/fix-file-sharing-macos-high-sierra-security-update/

The actual fix is quite simple:
    1. Open the Terminal application, it is located within the /Applications/Utilities/ folder on the Mac
    2. Enter the following command syntax exactly:

sudo /usr/libexec/configureLocalKDC​
    3. Hit the Return key, then enter your administrator password to authenticate with sudo
    4. Quit out of the Terminal application

SeanNeedham likes this.
  14. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    And now Apple has re-issued the security fix. One assumes it is to address the file sharing issue.

15. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Terminal, one of the four permanent applications on my dock, thankfully with this version of Mac OS, as it'd be a bit tedious going in to /Applications/Utilities every few minutes!

16. GHK

GHK Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You say enter it exactly; does this mean that the space shown between 'sudo' and'/' should be there or was it just a typo?
    GHK

17. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just apply the security update from Apple now, this was only needed before they took care of it. But yes, there would be a space there.