1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Male Adder, wild and free

Discussion in 'Plants, Animals & Insects Photography Forum' started by stanm, May 16, 2018.

1. stanm

stanm Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Seen and photographed adders many times at the British Wildlife Centre but today was the first time I have had the opportunity to capture one in the wild and clear of obstruction. Blashford Lakes this morning

Stan

[​IMG]

2. stanm

stanm Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    yet again, presume due to the detail, would not link from flickr so here is a resaved version which I hope has not lost clarity

6692 - adder edit.jpg

3. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The pic you tried to post is 330 Kb.

Nice shot, BTW. It's sharp enough around the eyes.

4. stanm

stanm Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    the original post was from flickr and apparently much too big at around 900kb, I then resaved at level 7 and even that was the 330 so had in the end to go down to 5 to get it below 250. Quite strange as other recent shots linked from flickr have shown up fine

5. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I guess it's the dimensions rather than the size, there's a threshold on both.

Great shot :)

6. stanm

stanm Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks for looking Andy

both from flickr and direct upload were only 800px on the longest side, so cant get much smaller than that - my other recent posts, a mayfly and a hoverfly both linked straight from flickr without problem

7. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    nice one stan, never seen an alive snake in the wild. cool shot

8. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well caught Stan .. . only ever seen one snake in the Uk (and I'm 66 years old) and that was just 2 weeks ago along the cambrian coast ....
    easy remedy to your problem uploading images from flickr .... dont .... upload from your desktop it's easier anyway.
    Paul.

9. stanm

stanm Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks for looking guys

I post to other forums no problem from the flickr images,so its a bit of a pain to do a seperate process each time just for one forum

10. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nice shot and find. a real beauty. Looks freshly shed too. I am a bit snake obsessed so have spent a lot of time shooting adders, grass snakes and smooth snakes under license. Wonderful creatures.

11. David_MC

David_MC Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Beautiful markings on the snake. I’ve encountered a few, mostly non-venomous Rat and Garder Snakes although I have encountered rattlesnakes on hikes before.

12. Dale.

Dale. Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Nice work, only ever seen one in my life, before I discovered photography as a hobby, in my mountian biking days.

13. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Only one I've ever seen unfortunately was in bits on a country road.

I don't want to encounter one, I must admit. I'm not one for snakes .

14. stanm

stanm Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks guys

I used to be quite put off by snakes but since having one hung round my neck in Morocco is few years ago my attitude changed for the better

Stan

15. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Glad to hear it. I love snakes, they are astonishing creatures. In Australia I often moved pythons for people who found them in their homes. Out there a few nasty ones that you need to be wary of, but you rarely see them unless you look. Most vanish at the sight of a human.

Here in Blighty we only have the three native species plus a few small populations of escapees. All bar the adder are harmless. Grass snakes eject a stinky solution when you handle them that sticks for ages. Smooth snakes are so rare it is very unlikely you will see one. Adders very rarely bite, usually only if trodden on. Occasionally someone will pick one up and get bitten, then the usual ignorant press make a song and dance about it. I often photograph adders with my 60mm macro. Once they get used to you they feel no threat and will sit and bask. One individual found warmth on my black trainers making it hard for me to move away.