• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Manual 1970's Miranda - photos VERY blurry. Help please!

jess.pl

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to film photography. I have a 1970's Miranda camera which has produced some lovely images in the past, however this last roll of film has been a disaster and I can't fathom what I did wrong.
Some photos turned out perfectly and others are unbelievably blurry and have lots of lines across them. Is anyone able to give me advice on what I did wrong? I usually make sure everything is in check with the light metre but I'm not sure what it could be past that.
(Part of me also wonders if the people who digitally developed the images maybe messed up, but I don't want to point fingers yet!)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've posted one good photo and one bad photo. 16/22 of my photos turned out as blurry as the bad photo.

Thanks!!
000032150020_2.jpg000032150011 (1).jpg

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hello and Welcome to the forum.
I have edited your post to display your Full Images. In future posts, after attaching files you should select the 'Full Image' option when inserting images into posts to do this yourself.

Sadly I don't have much experience with vintage film equipment so hopefully someone will be along shortly who can better advise you with this issue.

jess.pl

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Th
Hello and Welcome to the forum.
I have edited your post to display your Full Images. In future posts, after attaching files you should select the 'Full Image' option when inserting images into posts to do this yourself.

Sadly I don't have much experience with vintage film equipment so hopefully someone will be along shortly who can better advise you with this issue.
Thankyou very much!

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi and welcome. I'm taking a couple of educated guesses here, but in the first it appears your light meter was reading off the bright sun in the background instead of the dark of the dog's face. We still have that problem with digital cameras today. Because of that reading it couldn't properly focus on the finer details in the darker parts.
The second shot appears that it just was not focused at all on anything in that room. Was it perhaps a user fault there?

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The second shot appears that it just was not focused at all on anything in that room. Was it perhaps a user fault there?
I did think it was a focus mishap In the second shot but it has horizontal banding going through which I wouldn't think the focus produced.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Are these from the negatives? Don't know of anything in processing that could have turned a shot in focus to one out of focus. As above, maybe user error? The banding could be... maybe, but I'm leaning more toward light leak since it's a 50 year old camera.

jess.pl

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@Roger S @Southern Gent thank-you both
for your input.
This might sound silly but in terms of focus, how do I adjust that to prevent blurring as I've never had this issue with the camera before. When I look through the camera the focus seems to be on the subject so how can I predict that it will come out blurry? I've attached a few more of the photos.
@Southern Gent looking at some of the images that came out a bit better, they all do look very bright. Is there a way I can fix a light leak?
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
000032150018-min.jpg000032150003-min.jpg

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
This might sound silly but in terms of focus, how do I adjust that to prevent blurring as I've never had this issue with the camera before. When I look through the camera the focus seems to be on the subject so how can I predict that it will come out blurry? I've attached a few more of the photos.
@Southern Gent looking at some of the images that came out a bit better, they all do look very bright. Is there a way I can fix a light leak?
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!]

Which camera model is this??? Looks like they made some SLR's and some Point and Shoot. Light leaks most generally come from camera sealing points that aren't sealing which requires repair, or improper handling of the film when loading or unloading. For example loading/unloading in bright sunlight.

Last edited:

breeliz

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The banding is not consistent so it is very unlikely that it is in the camera equipment. It is most likely produced by the film processor. I had this happen on the last roll of BW Infrared film that I shot. They have old equipment and it is not properly maintained so things happen. I always get digital conversions of the film negatives so I can go in post and fix these things.

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Are the negatives in focus, but the print is not- go back and have the pictures redone. I've had this happen several times.

Checking the camera:
Check the negatives. A light leak will normally show up in the space between the frames.
Check that the mirror has not come loose, and that it is sitting properly in place. If the mirror is out of position- focus will be off on the negative.
Check that the pressure plate on the camera is clean. Dirt/burrs can cause scratches and banding on a negative.
You can also check focus on the camera by taping the leader from a developed roll of film to the film gate and put some scotch tape across the back. Set the camera on a tripod, set to "B", focus with the finder and then check the image on the scotch tape.