1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Microsoft Surface 2 Laptop - Lightroom

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by choccy, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    More cores may be more useful in the future. Adobe do seem to be making more use of multiple cores instead of their old ways. In addition, for video packages like Resolve 16 work so much better with a good core count.

As for LR, currently a lot of the functions do not make use of the GPU, same in PS. While some do, and that number is increasing, most do not. The CPU is still heavily pushed. It is easy to test for yourself, just run any monitoring software and you will soon see what uses what.

Just been playing with a high spec gaming laptop myself to see what it does. When gaming results are not so bad, but productivity with the thermal throttling is atrocious. The 4.6ghz i9 actually kicked off at 5ghz briefly before dropping down to 3.2ghz after less than 90seconds of a Resolve 16 rendering output. That is quite some drop. Comparing that laptop to my Ryzen 2600 desktop, the i9 laptop took 40% longer to process the same scene. Bear in mind, my desktop has an RTX2060 and the laptop has an RTX2070. My point here is that throwing money on the best on paper specs doesn’t always make sense. The £2.8k gaming laptop is a peach for gaming with a fantastic screen, but for photography and video it didn’t perform as well as my sub £1K desktop.

Oh, just for clarity the laptop is not mine but one in the office that I thought I would have a play with. It’s owner had spilled drink on it and I was fixing it for them.

2. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for your technical clarification Phill. There is so much misinformation online about processing power and photography vs gaming needs.

What is Resolve 16? I am trying HitFilm express for video at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Davinci Resolve 16 is a free video editing suite. It really is quite good but a little complicated at first. Well worth the effort though.

Mike Singh likes this.
  4. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I will check it out.

Phill104 likes this.
  5. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well I have a gaming laptop, I7, 16GB RAM, 4GB NVIDIA card, 256 SSD hard drive, used for lightroom/PS and it still crashes sometimes in LR/PS, normally resulting in nothing on the PC responding, then a BSOD.....

Mike Singh likes this.
  6. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It would seem that regardless of the hardware LR is still buggy and freezes sometimes. I buy what I need for an intermediate level user. I can cope with slow and some freezing!

7. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Oddly, I’ve not had any freezing or crashes since my latest build. I can only guess it played badly with something on my previous windows setup. Having said that, Thomas Heston was moaning about crashes on his brand new Mac so it could be anything.

DonS and Mike Singh like this.
  8. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A lot of Pros are complaining about LRs freezing, crashes and slow performance.

Phill104 likes this.
  9. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have not had Lightroom freeze in the longest time. Years and several major versions ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Mike Singh likes this.
  10. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Most of the time I've seen Lightroom go down on the more recent versions if there is something else hammering resources; most of the time it's been if folk have been using a music player, or a P2P system, or something like Dropbox or Google Drive updating at the same time. Even with running multiple instances of at once (alongside Photoshop and sometimes AfterEffects) I've personally not seen any untoward behaviour on it since when Adobe was messing around with that new import system.

Mike Singh likes this.
  11. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well I spoke too soon. Yesterday I updated windows to 10 / 1903 version. I also updated PS with the latest version, and updated the Nvidia drivers to the latest version. All went well until I started trying to use LR and PS. Now, PS the colours of any pic are off and worse still, those colours change further still if I use any filter. In LR the main image has the right colours, but the second window is massively warmer than the primary. This is even the case if I swap monitors or slide that window between them. All was good until yesterday and now I am in a state where I cannot edit anything. I’ve tried calibration of the monitors and all sorts of other things and am currently preparing my largest polo mallet for some percussive maintenance.

Mike Singh likes this.
  12. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Before hitting it with the mallet, Phil, have a look at the Nvidia Drivers; there's been all sorts of issues on Windows where the graphics have been screwed up after a driver update (things like RGB profile changing/becoming disassociated in the Nvidia Control or the Calibration Loader under WindowsColorSystem in schtasks).

13. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Have been looking into that Sean. Was getting very tired last night so need a fresh day before I start digging. It probably is the Nvidia drivers which I only installed to have a gander at Quake II RTX. That probably was a bad move.

14. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Polo mallet back in the rack and on standby for future use, thanks Sean. In the Nvidia Control panel the monitors had the correct profile, however they were being picked up as HDTV screens instead of computer monitors (odd as they are both connected via DP and not HDMI as the drivers seem to think). As such the colour depth had switched to 8bpc and the output dynamic range had set itself to "Limited". I gave it a slap so far all looks good. The output colour depth is now set to 12bpc and DR to full.

Mike Singh and SeanNeedham like this.
  15. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I know that feeling, had a few dances with Nvidias in the driver department; but now (just because of the lack of driver support for MacOS) I'm firmly rooted on the other side of the fence... Although at times they aren't much different!

Phill104 likes this.