1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Mini LED light panel

Discussion in 'Studio Lighting Forum' started by Col300D, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Col300D

Col300D Member

Hi All,

Hopefully I have put this in the right place.

I have a cheap LED light panel to sit above my camera for indoor shots (I find the flash far too bright) and plan to use it for additional lighting for indoor video recording to get clearer/sharper footage.

At the moment I’m finding the light very harsh and the focus object (generally me) looks oddly lit compared to my surroundings.
    The panel comes with a blue, white and orange filter and the brightness is adjustable but the colours look sort of unnatural and adjustment is either slightly too bright or dull.

My questions are -

Is there a filter colour that would look more natural for this type of setting?
    Is it likely that the light is too cheap and I would be better off investing a little more in something that will provide a softer yet still bright light?
    Would I be better off trying to improve the colour/brightness during editing (iMovie)?

I’m pretty new to this camera (compact Sony HX80) and bought it as a more portable option to a camcorder for YouTube, I don’t want to lug around loads of gear as it sort of defeats my purpose but happy to carry a small light source if that’s what it takes to get the best video quality.

Hope that all makes sense and any help is appreciated.

Cheers, Col

2. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Using a filter that modifies the LED lighting to the ambient light is typical. Filter material is available for tungsten and fluorescent lighting at most camera shops.

3. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I did reply to your question about a sock for the light, this should tone it down a bit.

4. Col300D

Col300D Member

Thanks Steve, I did see it and had posted this before seeing your other thread talking about the light panel.

Cheers, Col