1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers Moline Illinois Photo Shoot 01-13-2019

Discussion in 'All Other Images Forum' started by JosephHuntley, Jan 14, 2019.

1. JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley Well-Known Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hey guys I came across a local clubs get together Photo shoot today and went for it. Now considering I have only been Photographing for 1 week I went.

I took 214 Photos mostly because I was shooting at 5 frames a sec so I didnt miss anything. The time was late afternoon 330 pm and my last shot was at 5 pm. it gets dark at 430 here.

I have to go through the shots but here I came up with my 4 Best Shots of the outing IMO

Iso 400
    70MM
    f/20
    1/40
    Moline-01.jpg
    Iso 400
    140MM
    f/20
    1/160

Moline-02.jpg

Iso 400
    210MM
    f/20
    1/15

Moline-03.jpg

Iso 400
    110MM
    f/20
    1/25

Moline-04.jpg

2. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I just finished Culling and though I had 217 odd shots I really only had 40 individual shots if you take out the shots per sec. Out of those 40 I ended up with 30 decent shots, so its more culling than I wanted but we had this jerk kept jumping in front everyone trying to do his thing in stead of being respectful and letting everyone get shots. so most of my culls were reflections in the glass of a photog or the photog photo bombing

Here are the rest of the decent ones. I wished could reshoot a couple as I noticed a slight blur as they moved. there were 30 Photogs and the models think their done so start to move lol but this is the first one for me with people and I am happy its a decent start. the girl in red on bench is really great reminds me of a yearbook photo. this guy has these every 4 to 6 weeks and sometimes throws a themed shoot in so it will be fun

Moline-05.jpg Moline-06.jpg Moline-07.jpg Moline-08.jpg Moline-09.jpg Moline-10.jpg Moline-11.jpg Moline-12.jpg Moline-13.jpg Moline-14.jpg

3. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  4. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    And the Final Images

Moline-24.jpg Moline-25.jpg Moline-26.jpg Moline-27.jpg Moline-28.jpg Moline-29.jpg Moline-30.jpg

5. Kevin (ksdg01)

Kevin (ksdg01) Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Joseph, way to jump in with both feet and get out a shoot some photos.

Moline looks like a nice place, I've photoed nearby at the Mississippi Palisades.

Increase your shutter speed just a bit, it'll help reduce camera shake.

For example: 100mm focal length ideally should have 1/100 second shutter speed.

Shutter speed will need to increase further if you have a crop sensor depending on it's size.

JosephHuntley likes this.
  6. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Woot when I posted pics on the Group site that did the shoot the model with the blue sweather and blue grey jacket loved them. that made my night. I think they prob need some post work done etc but I am not good at that yet but something to practice on and get them to her

Image9.jpg

7. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Joseph
    Good that you got out and did this exercise. It is easier if I focus on the 3rd and 4th photo at the start.

I would have used an aperture if F4-5.6. With portraits the backgrounds are normally blurred and soft. This wide aperture would have allowed you to increase your shutter speed to over 1/100. Increasing your ISO to 800 would have helped. Your photos have a soft look to them due to camera shake. The subject’s eye nearest to you needs to be sharp.

8. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks Mike yes these are my favorites, she was another persons model she brought for the shoot and she let me shoot her and I did hurry a little as I didnt want to seem to be intruding if you know what I mean. I had started the day shooting at around f/8 However the one shot I swore I was going to dial in, was that clock tower against the sunset. lol my old nemesis from the first of the week. and no mater what happened with the rest the pics this was going down. and getting the shot the way I wanted it, just made my whole week. I shot 50 single shots of that clock tower until I got it dialed in the way I wanted. some shots everything came out pure white and as I dialed 1 more click in you started to see detail more and more with each click til i got it.

Oh Mike you mentioned increasing ISO to 800 wouldn't that have added unnecessary graininess into the Photo? I thought everyone telling me to keep the ISO as low as I can so I been trying to stay around 100 but in this case as light dropped I had to move it to 400. So with the closeups I wanted as less grain as possible I thought?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2019
  9. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just as a tip, only post a small number of shots for comment (say 3-6) as you'll then get more focused (excuse the pun) comments. There are too many here, and they aren't numbered. :)

10. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks yes they are posted in sequence, however I wasnt so much for a focussed as this is the culmination of what the guys were telling me in another thread and suggested a new one for this shoot. I was just posting the pics from the shoot which had various situations. Then the guys had an overall picture and if anything drastic stood out they could point it out.

I had been working all week in low light working on settings and the guys had been very helpful explaining the triangle to me and helping me understand it. to me this was more like a graduation shoot where I show I understood what they were telling me and now it is time for me to move on and work on other things like composition, taking my time and setting up the shot etc now that I understand the triangle better.

I basically can see flaws in the shots and I think the guys been regularly commenting know that and why not bringing them up instead just giving pointers how to improve my settings.

Next I would like to take a few of the better pics into photoshop and smooth out some of the models faces and other stuff and make them look a lot better, thats a new challenge for me post editing lol be time for some new videos to watch. If you notice most of the models have some lines etc that just seem to kill a nice photo at least to me so I need to get rid of them

11. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Joseph.. I'm going to be brutally honest imo you are posting too many images to get constructive criticism, you need to be selective and weed out the poorer images (out of focus or camera shake) e.g the sixth image in your last post, surely you can see that it's blurred.
    Also keep it interesting e.g third image in last set, what's this all about, the back of a crowd of people outside a chocolate shop with a couple of cars cutting their legs off.
    Now your first 4 images on this thread have some merit, you have nicely included the exif and from this I would say that using f20 has given you too slow a shutter speed.
    There are also some worthy images but you need to number them so as to avoid confusion.
    Finally I commend you on getting out, getting involved with a camera club and your enthusiasm for your new hobby.... I don't want to dissuade you at all, just be more selective.
    Paul

Had a little play with your 3rd image set one, smoothed the skin and enhanced the vibrance a touch.
    Moline-03 first.jpg . Moline-03 second.jpg

Paul

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    JosephHuntley and Roger S like this.
  12. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi again, Joseph. First off, what Paul said above. ^^^

Next, I would like to know what photo editor you are using, if indeed you are post editing your shots. Whichever one it is, there must be a setting in it to preserve the EXIF for when you post them here. If you can, that would help us very much to be able to see that EXIF when we are trying to help you.

I realise you are very new to the camera, and are very eager to start learning, but it will be a slow process at first. Pick up a little bit of information and go practice that, then pick up a little more and go out to practice again, etc., etc., etc.

OK, I'm going to start with just one of these shots and try to give you some tips. The fourth one posted is a great composition and the young lady is shown in her seemingly natural habitat. There are a few ways you could improve on this one.

1. Firstly, street photography and/or portraits are rarely taken at f/20. It's more common to stay around f/8 - f/16. That's not saying that it can't be fixed in post, but it's better to get it in camera. The larger aperture will also let in more light so you can increase the shutter speed.

2. If you were on auto white balance, the snow fooled the camera here. If by chance you set some other option for white balance by accident, you should double check and set it back to auto.

3. Your histogram shows a well defined omega curve, just where we would want it but the mid tone could be adjusted down just a touch to bring out a bit of the shadows.

4. After all is done and you have resized the image for the forum, you should do a sharpen on it before saving. I normally go 10% sharpening with images out of the Nikons.

So, with all these tips applied to your fourth image, this would be the result:

Untitled - 1.jpg

As opposed to what it was when you uploaded.

Untitled - 2.jpg

do you see what a bit of editing can do? It took me all of a minute, but I have had a bit of practice.

13. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Joseph
    Better you have a noisy photo than a blurred one.

14. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks guys.

Roger I import my RAW files into Lightroom then export them no real changes other than maybe 1 or 2 thirds on my exposure. Then I bring it into Corel Paintshop Pro just to resize for here as I am not that far along into learning lightroom and more comfortable in that than Photoshop at the moment. Also my Auto White Balance is turned on.

I could have adjusted some of that myself in my editing However if I edited it then posted I figure how does that Help my Base Photography? So I pretty much leave them as I shot them for the most part.

Thanks Paul That is what I like Brutality as it will only help me. This multi Post was more to show the guys that have taken their time trying to help me daily all week What I could do Now with all their Help from where I was one week ago yesterday with a brand new camera.

Almost every shot was done in manual mode taking all the info they had given me about shutter speed Iso F stops and using it in a shoot like this.

I Know I still have a long way to go, however I am proud at how far I have come in Just a week.

I did day 8 of my 365 challenge today and hope that the stuff I got told in the last 24 hrs has helped. I need to go through them and pick the best one out of the entire shoot and see for 1 Image What everyone thinks.

It is nice to say yes you did great when there is 1 image but if I post several then they can have an overall feeling how I shot that outing and where I really need work. That is my thinking on why so many pics. I can always get 1 lucky shot lol.

Today I was also using a 2 sec delay and tripod to help with camera shake

15. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Are you using centre point focus mode, if so you can see below why your model is oof (out of focus) and the bricks are sharp
    , you should set your centre point on the eyes, half press the shutter button to lock the focus and then re adjust for your composition and then press the button all the way down.
    Moline-13a.jpg

Paul

16. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  17. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks yes I was using the focus mode where I can move the focus point around. But didnt know about locking it.

Ok Guys I took shots today Used 2 sec delay did best I could trying to shoot running water., Overcast day really hazy out and I stacked this image from 8 Images hoping to get something decent.

70MM
    Iso 400
    f/5.0
    1/2000

and after resizing hit light sharpen

Monday-09.jpg

Damn Guys I went through all my photos from todays shoot 55 of them and only Culled 2 and though some may be boring to some people as I was shooting stuff interested me. I came up with a couple really Awesome shots. One of the Shots I followed the advice and used shutter speed same as ISO and the f/5.6 then shot exact same shot with f/6.0 and Both Look Awesome

So here Is the First Image

Monday-52
    Iso 800
    220MM
    f/5.6
    1/800

Monday-52.jpg

And Here it is with a slight Tweak to the f Stop

Monday-53
    Iso 800
    260MM
    f/6.0
    1/800

Monday-53.jpg

And the Best Photo of the Day for Me

Iso 280
    200MM
    f/5.6
    1/1000

Best Waterfall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2019
    Mike Singh likes this.
  18. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Joseph
    My comments are about your last photo above (Iso 280, 200MM, f/5.6, 1/1000)
    For a scene with flowing water like this, an option is to use a slower shutter speed like 1/30, to get the cascading water silky smooth. It adds sense of motion to the photo. You would have to be tripod mounted with 2 sec timer delay. The starting settings will be ISO 100, 1/30 and aperture F 9 and above. Use whatever aperture is required to get a lower shutter speed. The photo above is a bit under exposed as well. You will have to look at your histogram and adjust your exposure so that you have data into the right most side of the histogram chart. Once you have your base settings an image, then adjust your shutter speed to get different degrees of smoothening of the water.

Processing
    Your photo is flat and needs some pop. To start you can increase the contrast in LR. I accept there is not much colour in the scene. See below with increase in exposure, contrast and saturation.

Best Waterfall 2.jpg

19. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  20. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Mike I knoiw about the slower speeds but I am not a huge fan of that look it just too blurred water. I like this turbulent look here even though its not the slower speed all the bubbles etc say movement to me

Mike Singh likes this.
  21. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    So Mike and Roger you guys have been seeing my twilight shots How do you thing this one came out. I haven't done any post yet but it took my abt 30 shots to get it dialed in as I wanted to do it full manual to get practice at making adjustments

Moline-02.jpg

22. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Quite honestly, you have chosen to take an almost impossible shot here. The dynamic range between the sky and the clock is far too much for your camera to handle. This is one type of image where you have limited choices, as in blowing the sky out totally in order to dial in the clock, or substituting your sky with another, or even better, taking two shots (one of the sky and one of the clock) to blend them together.

Just a quick edit for clarity:

Untitled - 2.jpg

Mike Singh likes this.
  23. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yea I was trying for a nice shot where I wasnt blowing out the sky or the clock tower wasnt able to be read. I found this sweet spot and figured to get the most out of it I would have to do some good editing, I just liked that I was able to get it where the clock could be read and the sky wasnt blown out and said theres a start.

I was mainly practicing my manual settings and getting all the adjustments figured out. it was good learning for me though wished I coulda really nailed the photo to make an awesome one

24. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    here ya go Roger ))) lol

Moline-02 Adjusted.jpg

Roger S likes this.
  25. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I am just saying...if you are one finger typing you are going to wear out yer shutter finger.