• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

My company has an office in Guildford

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Our head office is here in Canada, just outside Toronto (Mississauga, the city next to Toronto). We have a sales office in the UK but support for customers in Europe (except for Germany, they have a dedicated person in Germany) is from our India office. They are going to open a support group in the Guildford office.

If has been mentioned of my moving there. I even enticed my wife, a BMW driver, that it is close to the Top Gear Test Track ;) It was mentioned only by me and with me taking over management of the support group to be formed there.

Yes, the reason we are doing this is to cover western Europe and the UK. Our UK customers tend to call us directly rather than their "official" support in India. I was just on the phone with someone in York the other day.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
When you're looking at the distances Don, compared to what you're used to in Canada everywhere in the UK is close to the Top Gear Test Track!!!

Andy 0

Always on
Indeed, I'm currently working with a guy from 'straya who's still wrapping his head around how 'close' everything is in the UK, ultimately you can't be more than a half-days' drive from anywhere.

Would be cool if you did come over, plenty of us on here I'm sure would be willing to pop over and say hi or help you move if we can.

It's not bad country you know, no matter how we moan.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
I often call Canada or Ireland for support with one particular company. Why? Their Texas team for some reason cannot understand my accent. I have a normal Home Counties accent as that is where I am from, the normal English accent the BBC seem to like as it is clear and usually easy to understand. Why those in Texas have no clue is beyond me, they are not very efficient either frequently getting things very wrong. So when dealing with that particular company I either ring Canada or Ireland depending on the time of day. Far better service. Being asked by a Texan if I can find someone else to talk to them as they cannot understand my English is very odd. They freaked completely when I put my Scottish colleague on the line out of frustration.

Despite all the moaning and brexit ****, the UK is a fantastic place to live and work. If you do come I am sure you will enjoy it. Guildford is a nice place to live, close to the downs and also just 25mins drive to the coast. Plenty to see, do and photograph.

Andy 0

Always on
Haha, yes there's thick Geordie or Glaswegian in the mix.

Fast paced 'scouse' from a city, native I find hard to follow too. A lot of our accents are strong but comprehensible; Glaswegian and Geordie not so.

That said, the Newfoundland Eastern Canadian accent is certainly 'distinctive'.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
When you're looking at the distances Don, compared to what you're used to in Canada everywhere in the UK is close to the Top Gear Test Track!!!
The farthest anyone can be from the ocean is 70 miles or something like that. My current drive to work is 42km, or about 30 miles. That is just to cross Toronto.

Indeed, I'm currently working with a guy from 'straya who's still wrapping his head around how 'close' everything is in the UK, ultimately you can't be more than a half-days' drive from anywhere.

Would be cool if you did come over, plenty of us on here I'm sure would be willing to pop over and say hi or help you move if we can.

It's not bad country you know, no matter how we moan.
I would be the same. I have gone on a camera club outing that was 160 km (100 miles) from home. When we drive to the cottage, as we say it, at the lake that is 230 km (145 miles) and we do that on a Friday night.

I often call Canada or Ireland for support with one particular company. Why? Their Texas team for some reason cannot understand my accent. I have a normal Home Counties accent as that is where I am from, the normal English accent the BBC seem to like as it is clear and usually easy to understand. Why those in Texas have no clue is beyond me, they are not very efficient either frequently getting things very wrong. So when dealing with that particular company I either ring Canada or Ireland depending on the time of day. Far better service. Being asked by a Texan if I can find someone else to talk to them as they cannot understand my English is very odd. They freaked completely when I put my Scottish colleague on the line out of frustration.

Despite all the moaning and brexit ****, the UK is a fantastic place to live and work. If you do come I am sure you will enjoy it. Guildford is a nice place to live, close to the downs and also just 25mins drive to the coast. Plenty to see, do and photograph.
I have problems with some US customers from the south because of accents. Some tend to string their words all together and do not enunciate consonants, especially hard sounding ones, very much. We all speak differently and it is just a matter of not being used to hearing it. Mentioning NewFoundLand, that is a whole other kettle of fish ;) To me, they often sound Irish. It is not just accent there, it is expressions. The musical, Come From Away (coming to the West End in 2019 I see) is an example. It is about the September 11, 2001 events in NewFoundLand when airplane after airplane of people were diverted there when the US shutdown their airspace. The locals would say to the people "Oh, you've come from away" hence the name.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
The farthest anyone can be from the ocean is 70 miles or something like that. My current drive to work is 42km, or about 30 miles. That is just to cross Toronto.
Yeah, in a straight line it's 70 miles give or take a few yards, and the village is called Coton in the Elms and not far from @Ramble Vision

My morning commute now, as I was handed an offer that would have been pretty stupid to turn down (though I'm still going to be doing music stuff but only with two groups now) totals in at three and a half minutes... On foot; at the beginning of the year it was five hours round trip!

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Yeah, in a straight line it's 70 miles give or take a few yards, and the village is called Coton in the Elms and not far from @Ramble Vision

My morning commute now, as I was handed an offer that would have been pretty stupid to turn down (though I'm still going to be doing music stuff but only with two groups now) totals in at three and a half minutes... On foot; at the beginning of the year it was five hours round trip!
indeed, few miles away, great living where I live, everywhere is close

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
I have found out we have shut our sales office in India. The only thing there is support now and they are going to be replaced as well. I cannot confirm, but I suspect the UK office will be taking over more than western Europe.