• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

My First Foray into > 1:1 Macro Photography

RobertG

While I know these do not compare to the many extreme and extremely excellent macro shots here, I was incredibly excited to capture these images on my neighbor's rose plant. The first is a Cucumber beetle, I believe; and the second I believe is a jumping spider (at least he jumped around a lot as I was trying to photograph him!),
Equipment for these shots consists of a Tokina 100mm macro with Raynox DCR 250 lens attachment and camera flash with a white cloth diffusion material.
Finally, my gratitude to these patient insects for posing on this overcast day! RobertCucumber-Beetle-S.jpgJumping-Spider-S.jpg

RobertG

Thank you all for your kind comments - I just received the Raynox in the post a few days ago and was anxious to try it out. Ended up with a dozen or so decent shots of the spider, but this was my favorite. All shots were hand-held, so a bit challenging as you all already know! Thanks for the inspiration I am finding here, and looking forward to more macro work - definitely "hooked"!

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
G'day Robert

Your pics are excellent - as others above have already mentioned ... well done
I see that you are using the Raynox-250 close-up lens, and 'congratulations' again

I enjoy using close-up lenses too, and on another thread here a few days ago, we had a short discussion about them

For your reference [if you are not aware] the Raynox-250 is a "+4 dioptre" lens with a focal length of 1/4-metre, meaning that when it's on your camera lens with that main lens set to infinity, the new combo will focus at 1/4-metre. By using the main lens's focus mechanism you can focus a bit closer ~ probably down to 1/5-metre or 8-inches if you still work in inches.

It is a really beaut way of getting closeups ~ don't forget to create adequate depth-of-field via good selection of Aperture :)

Phil

kayak

Always on
Nice shots! I've recently been doing a lot of macro photography. The smaller the insect, the more you'll get in focus with a shallow DOF. I found that once I go above the size of a bee, I get a better shot with my standard kit lens.

RobertG

G'day Robert

Your pics are excellent - as others above have already mentioned ... well done
I see that you are using the Raynox-250 close-up lens, and 'congratulations' again

I enjoy using close-up lenses too, and on another thread here a few days ago, we had a short discussion about them

For your reference [if you are not aware] the Raynox-250 is a "+4 dioptre" lens with a focal length of 1/4-metre, meaning that when it's on your camera lens with that main lens set to infinity, the new combo will focus at 1/4-metre. By using the main lens's focus mechanism you can focus a bit closer ~ probably down to 1/5-metre or 8-inches if you still work in inches.

It is a really beaut way of getting closeups ~ don't forget to create adequate depth-of-field via good selection of Aperture :)

Phil
Thanks Phil for the nice comments and info. I will look for the other thread. I realized a bit too late I was not focused at infinity - I had been focused at closest distance (got too excited!). I did try a few at infinity just before the spider decided he'd had enough, but never got better than the front legs in focus. I was shooting at F16, but will try smaller aperture next time (and monopod?!) with larger magnification. Boy what fun though!! Cheers!

Nice shots! I've recently been doing a lot of macro photography. The smaller the insect, the more you'll get in focus with a shallow DOF. I found that once I go above the size of a bee, I get a better shot with my standard kit lens.
Thanks for the encouragement! I am really looking forward to experimenting with the Raynox and a telephoto lens as they recommend. Cheers!

gaelldew

Always on
Premium Member
@RobertG Hope you dont mind Robert, thought you might like it a little larger, Topaz Gigapixel AI. Just say if you mind and I'll remove it.

x-robert-g.jpg

RobertG

@RobertG Hope you dont mind Robert, thought you might like it a little larger, Topaz Gigapixel AI. Just say if you mind and I'll remove it.

Garth, thank you!! Very grateful for your effort!! Cheers!
One additional shot now that a friend helped me identify what it is, a Mayfly. The equipment used was a Nikon 60mm Micro with the R1 Nikon macro flash attachment, 1:1 reproduction ratio on the lens.
Mayfly.jpg

Luc

Here a lot
While I know these do not compare to the many extreme and extremely excellent macro shots here, I was incredibly excited to capture these images on my neighbor's rose plant. The first is a Cucumber beetle, I believe; and the second I believe is a jumping spider (at least he jumped around a lot as I was trying to photograph him!),
Equipment for these shots consists of a Tokina 100mm macro with Raynox DCR 250 lens attachment and camera flash with a white cloth diffusion material.
Finally, my gratitude to these patient insects for posing on this overcast day! RobertView attachment 306466View attachment 306467
Very good first try

RobertG

Thank you all for the kind comments and encouragement - I have a long way to go, but thrilled with the journey so far! Cheers!

Pete.Bony

I'm not experienced enough to pass much comment on the technicalities of the shots but you have achieved some very good results, I like them. I too use a Raynox DCR-250 and find it a cracking little "close up lens" to use" on my Vivitar 100 Macro lens - Or even on other lenses I have with extension tubes when needed, the Raynox (In my opinion) was worth every penny I paid for it.

RobertG

I'm not experienced enough to pass much comment on the technicalities of the shots but you have achieved some very good results, I like them. I too use a Raynox DCR-250 and find it a cracking little "close up lens" to use" on my Vivitar 100 Macro lens - Or even on other lenses I have with extension tubes when needed, the Raynox (In my opinion) was worth every penny I paid for it.
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the nice comments, and I agree about the Raynox. I was hesitant and a bit skeptical of the supposed results, but it really is some high-quality glass. Early days yet, but so far quite happy with it! Cheers!