• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

My first portrait post

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ok I took this yesterday evening In a very dark kitchen, the light source was through a side window with a amazing golden glow as the sun was going down.

Attachments

Styeffo

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi @johnlloyd197567 , I’m a mile away from being able to advise or critique your work, but personally I like it a lot and the glow you mentioned is fab

Stef

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thankyou stef

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi John, better if you post your images full size as it's too small to see properly.

Paul

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks paul, yea I had a feeling I'd posted it wrong after I'd done it lol

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Much better at this size now John.
Cute image ... nice and sharp on the dog, just unsure if I would prefer the girls eye in focus also, so maybe a greater depth of field is needed.
Cant see the exif in this so can you remember the f stop you used?

Paul

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yea I thought the same afterwards but it was a very quick moment image and not posted, I use f5.6 on this as was going for just my daughter, but turned round to see her holding dog like that and quickly shot it

I was thinking I should of had it at f8, would you agree or recommend a different stop, all advice welcome

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Puppy dogs and kids are guaranteed winners! Interesting light.. As you mentioned we don't always have a lot of time to capture those special moments, so many times it is what it is.

One thing to remember is that DOF is a function of aperture AND distance to the subject. The more you open up the aperture the more shallow the the DOF, and the closer you are to the subject the more shallow the DOF. It's also important to remember that total DOF is not equal, but falls off gradually in front of and behind the focal plane. For example using a 50mm lens at f/5.6, 36" away from your subject, gives you about 1.4" in front of your focal plane, and about 1.5" behind the focal plane. With everything else the same, increasing distance to subject to 48" will almost double the area in front of and behind the focal plane, while stopping down to f/8.0 at 36" will only increase your DOF in front of and behind the focal point by approximately 1/2" each way. (Note approximate as these can vary by camera and lens)

Understanding the exposure triangle will allow you to adjust the exposure to fit the DOF on the fly for the conditions.

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thankyou, something I will have to experiment with,as for the camera it needs a upgrade, old sony a350 and it struggles with the white balance when trying to use custom. Looking at canon 60d at present

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thankyou I will read through these later, thankyou southern gent for taking the time to point me in the right direction

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Canon 60D is a good camera and should give you good results, depending on the lens quality of course.

Paul