1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Go Easy On Me My first splash photography attempt

Discussion in 'Studio Images Forum' started by Sian, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Sian

Sian Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm trying to push my boundaries. This is my first ever go at this so be gentle lol.

This was taken with a canon 350D(Rebel XT), a speedlite (that I couldn't figure out out to trigger independently) a reflector and a lot of missed shots.

I had the camera on timer, counted the beeps on the timer so I knew when to drop the strawberry and tried until I got a shot.

I know the framing isn't great so that's something to work on for next time. And I should probably clean the glass too lol.

_.jpg

2. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    good effort!!

Sian likes this.
  3. Frankinfuji

Frankinfuji Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Looks good! I like the light on the water splashes, and the red stands out well against the black background. Could it be cropped to make the framing more central?

I've not tried this technique yet, but I know that lighting reflective objects can be challenging, and timing must be 'interesting'.

Sian likes this.
  4. Haripaul

Haripaul Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Excellent for the first time.

Sian likes this.
  5. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nice one Sian .. just tried this myself for the first time yesterday .. .great fun isn't it.

Sian likes this.
  6. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    nice job, looks good, only slight niggle is the placement of the glass being little far to the right, but thats just a small detail, everything else is spot on. you havecaught the splash just right which cant be easy,

Sian likes this.
  7. Sian

Sian Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I agree with the framing issue, that's something I'll be more mindfull of next time.

8. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Also think a diffuser on the flash would make the light a little less intense

9. Sian

Sian Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Okay thanks, I did use the diffuser that's on the speedlite, would I be better using something different? What would be best?

10. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    May be a bigger diffuser (or white cloth sheet) would spread the light a bit more .. .just looking at how to stop the flash being too prominent on the glass ... may be move the flash more to the side as there is a very bright bit at the 9 oclock position on your glass.

Sian likes this.
  11. Sian

Sian Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks, I'll try that next time. You are right about it being very bright there.

12. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Good first time - I have tried this game recently and like to have the fruit suspended in the water before hitting the bottom of the glass and it means there's more splash.

Easier said than done though as I found out! My first attempt was a kiwi fruit into a vase - what a mess!! :)

Sian likes this.
  13. Sian

Sian Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you, I don't follow what you mean about having the fruit suspended giving more splash though? I'm being thick tonight lol

14. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think Edward means that the fruit looks better if has not reached the bottom of the glass, but I'm not sure that would definitely mean there is more splash.

Sian and Snips like this.
  15. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Now you suggest that, you have a good point ... :)

Sian likes this.
  16. Sian

Sian Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I bought one of these today so I will try again when it arrives next week. :)

upload_2017-3-4_20-28-27.png

17. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've got one of those diffusers

Sian likes this.
  18. GFM

GFM Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A few things to consider:

1 - Centre the subject and leave a bit of space around when composing, so that you have a margin for error
    2 - Do not point the flash straight at the glass -- instead point it to a card/wall behind the glass and let the card/wall reflect the light back
    3 - Use the flash light to freeze the image and not the shutter. Dial down the flash light to 1/32 or 1/64 or 1/128 and the speed will be amazing

GF

19. MoelJills

MoelJills Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I think it's a great photo.

People are saying that the framing is off centre. I dont mind that so much though i think it could be looser to make more of a shape out of the glass. If you stood it on a mirror that could be interesting (though i get that you purposely went close to feature the splash... a bit of a tradeoff i guess

The splash is a really nice shape aswell but i find the dribbles of water down the glass a bit distracting. I dont knows if you wiped down the glass in between attempts?

Someone else mentioned a softer light so i wont but overall great shot. I would have been happy with it if i took it.

20. ed taylor

ed taylor Super Ed Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A very good effort. Nice one

21. spuriosity

spuriosity Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's a great first attempt. I had some fun doing these a few years back.. got bloody soaked!