1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Navigation by Ipad

Discussion in 'Software Reviews Forum' started by sibo, Jun 4, 2012.

1. sibo

sibo Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    As I knew the route I was doing today in wales I wanted to test the Ipad for its accuracy. I also used the app called uk maps, wich I will also mention.

The app can be found here http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/uk-map/id365745482?mt=8

I downloaded this app donkeys ago and never really paid attention, but late on saterday night I decided to plot my route for the next day. (well just decided it never done any plotting lol) And whipped the ipad out and got the app started. you can select the area you want and download it in both detailed 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 map and both very accurate. Plus its a one off fee, you pay for the app and download all the maps you want for free. Once you have the map you can even put it into 3d to show the relief (wich was great to wind the wife up lol, showed her the steep way and got a swift sharp slap to the back of the head).

The best thing I found was the accuracy of the GPS it put me bang on where I was and even rotates the map to north so you can see where your going etc etc.

Personaly it wont take me away from a map and compass but for geotaggers and gizmo lovers I think this would be pretty awesome. I reckon If i could trust it not to break I could quite happy use it for a full exped.

Hill walkers, BUY IT lol.

2. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nice one. My phone is just as good though :)
    Battery life is the biggest killer n the gadgets though.
    The 62S GPS will last a few full days out..

3. sibo

sibo Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    my compass will last a few years out :)

4. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    LOL. Yep still got the silva in my sack.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  5. sibo

sibo Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I actualy have my silva I bought when I joined the Army 15 years ago lol, most of the numbers have faded off but dam it still works a treat, it lives in my military kit have another for out and about. maybe one day I will purchase a GPS

6. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    the GPS is brilliant for proving where you are. We did a long walk once from Bowfell over to Scafell and around and back. It was dense cloud up top, and terrain I'd not been on before.
    I was navigating my map and compass, as GPS was flat, and no mapping on the old one. But there was enough battery to turn it on and get a grid reference when I was not 100% sure if I was right.
    Pleasingly, I was each time, but the grid ref was a great boost.

7. sibo

sibo Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Yesterday was fun, we where walking on the down slope before going up to waun, as the clag was in you could not see the top and the wife was getting scared because I was being my usual self saying "I think where going the right way" she was getting up set and was adament that we where wrong as we where going down hill and she could not work out why. after about 20 mins of her panicking I got the I pad out and showed her on the map where we where. to which she said you knew all along didnt you? yup I replied, made a rolly and cracked on lol. She really does hate me at times.

8. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    LOL. Naughty. It's pretty bleak up on Waun Fach when the zero vis rolls in :)

9. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have my Silva and area OS maps in my camera sack at all times and find the GPS on my phone handy for logging spots for when I get home.

I wonder how many will go up on the hills in flip flops on a nice day then the weather turns and the battery dies...................

Glad you have managed to get back to the hills flat land would kill me after many years in the peak district :)

You sound a bit more chipper than a while back :)

10. sibo

sibo Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I'm a lot more happier, I've managed to wangle a week back at my old job, so 5 days of caving climbing and hill walking. so one happy man lol.

11. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Give me a map, a compass, a bit of paper and a pencil any day... I'm still wary of this GPS stuff, and not entirely sure I'd trust it.

One of the biggest news articles most weekends is that the mountain rescue lads around here have to go out to go and get a city slicker who's called them off a mobile, because they don't know where they are as their bleep box has conked out, or were wearing unsuitable footwear and done themselves in (I've seen lasses from Barcelona, who've probably only ever seen the mountains from the road trying to get up the paths in high-heels).
    Good news is, now... The mountain rescue lot are billing them at 100€ per ten minutes, plus 1000€ per hour or part hour per helicopter if needed.

12. sibo

sibo Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Ive rescued people of the Brecon Beacons in bad weather due to gps dieing well more black mountains area which can be pretty bleak.