1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Near and distant trees on Wheelton Moor

Discussion in 'Landscape Photography Forum' started by Jeff Worsnop, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Jeff Worsnop

Jeff Worsnop Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Wheelton Moor 1-1.jpg
    Set off in sunshine then down came the mist. I quite like the recession although not to the liking of camera club judge.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This looks good. What was the brief when it came before your camera club judge?

3. Jeff Worsnop

Jeff Worsnop Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I am not in a camera club. I live in Chorley but Chorley PS are way above my level of competance.
    The judge is someone I know who critiques my flickr images. He is not an accredited judge
    but judges at local camera clubs. He charges a nominal amount of money and likes to talk.
    He likes pictures taken in sunshine with fluffy white clouds and is keen on thirds and leading lines !
    He does well in camera club competitions.
    Despite all that he is a nice chap.
    Jeff

gaelldew and Roger S like this.
  4. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Perfect. I get the impression you prefer sunshine to mist. IMO this picture would have suffered if taken in sunshine lacking any form of mood or atmosphere.

LOL......standard for all club judges, sounds like he only likes insipid dull boring lifeless soulless pictures lacking any emotional connection. Never met a club judge yet who has the credentials to critique a picture, let alone take one. Take everything a club judge tells you with a pinch of salt. Take the pictures you want to take, not what you think a club judge wants you to take to gain approval. If you do you're taking pictures to please someone else when you should only be taking pictures to please yourself, if someone else likes them then it's a bonus. Your creativeness will suffer and it will show in your pictures if you follow a judges advice. Same goes for competitions.

Roger S and Pteranadon like this.
  5. Jeff Worsnop

Jeff Worsnop Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Agree to some extent but I would not be as harsh
    Second half of post difficult to do in practice but a good ambition.
    And it has to be said that very many photographers get a lot of pleasure from taking part in competitive photography although I am not one of them.
    However I post pictures to get comments - but no marks please !
    Jeff

6. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Let's not forget this image has character!

7. Pete Larkin

Pete Larkin Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I find myself increasingly irritated by club judges - accredited or not. They seem to have severely restricted views on what is and isn't a good photograph, and can't seem to think outside the box.
    That said, I like the progression here, and the mist is the most important part, as it produces the atmosphere and isolation.

8. Jeff Worsnop

Jeff Worsnop Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think they are a necessary irritation if there are to be club competitions.
    However I do think there are some who rise above the general platitudes and have something useful to say.
    Thanks for photo comments.
    Jeff

Pete Larkin likes this.
  9. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    i like it, the comp is good and has a nice atmosphere to it.

Ive entered a fair camera club comps in the past and have seen some images score high with some judges and score low with others. So although their opinions can sometimes be useful ultimately they are just that, opinions.

10. David_MC

David_MC Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I really like this image. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I subscribe to the photography school of thought that using the "photography rules" is a great place to start, you should never be afraid to break them to make the shot work. This one works even though the rules haven't been strictly adhered to, in fact that is probably why it works well.

11. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Exactly this.

Pete Larkin likes this.
  12. Phill104

Phill104 Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I hear a lot about clubs and their judges. Where I shoot there seem to be a lot f people who go to clubs to try and learn. I went to a club once, back in the late 80s and it really was no the scene for me.They seemed obsessed with nudes and street, nothing else. The worse thing for me was to see an air of snobbery, so After a couple of weeks I never returned. Hearing comments such as these makes me wonder how much has changed, or not. Would like to hear more insights into club life these days, I keep thinking about popping along to my local club one evening.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  13. Jeff Worsnop

Jeff Worsnop Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Blimy. That's nearly thirty years ago.
    These days it seems natural history, and photoshop montages.

14. Phill104

Phill104 Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yep, so I have no idea what they are like now. I was still a student at the time and reminding me how long ago it was makes me feel really old. I must have been 17 as I was doing A-Levels so probably had a different outlook to the 20 or so old men that ran the club. The other reason I didn't like it was they all seemed there to smoke and being a non smoker the air was a bit rich. How times have changed.

15. Jeff Worsnop

Jeff Worsnop Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    In my eigth decade I still get fed up with the old stuck in the mud people who run photo clubs and the art club I am in.
    In my permambulations around several camera clubs it is very rare to see any young folk and then for a short ime only. The same applies to local art clubs. I would guess informal groups outside existing structures organised over social media are the way forward
    As an A level student it was your duty to be contemptuous of doddey old folk as it was when I did A levels.

Phill104 likes this.