1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

New camera budget of £2000

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by Timbin, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Timbin

Timbin Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi all,

I am looking to buy a new camera and lens for under £2000, I have been looking at the a7iii as it is supposed to be a great hybrid camera (as that is what I'm looking for). Just looking for any other suggestions and lens combos.

Thanks a lot :)

Mike Singh likes this.
  2. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Being a fuji shooter, I probably would go for a fuji xt3, body only at Wex 1349 which includes a free grip. Depends what sort of lens you need. Quite often they ship with the 18-55, which although an older lens, is excellent and razor sharp. Fuji lenses can be expensive, but there are bargains. 23mm and 35mm f2 lenses WR you can get for £409 and £369 at present, although there are f1.4 versions for these too. I have both the f2 versions and the 35mm in particular is a great walk around lens. There are so many lenses to choose from though, they are all quality lenses though.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  3. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Might help if you stated what you intended to shoot. What does hybrid mean in context?

4. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Fuji & Olympus are much more cost effective than the Sony. The lenses are great and better value for money.

Before you buy, get your hands on them to see if they feel good in your hands.

Too small for comfort for my hands but would not hesitate if I were thinking of dumping DSLR system.

5. Timbin

Timbin Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm looking for an all around shooter, portraits, travel photography/filmmaking etc

6. Newbandit

Newbandit Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Consider used as you can save a lot of money or get better gear for less money. I can recommend one of the forum sponsors MPB as a great source of really good quality used equipment.

paulmag likes this.
  7. Christopher

Christopher Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  8. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    For a really welcome change, and I hope you don't mind me saying, but that is a really decent and realistic budget - so many (including me :oops: ) ask on here for best equipment for a pathetic budget. While it's always a wish to have brand new equipment, some second hand cameras and lenses look and behave as new. I rarely buy new stuff these days as there are good savings to be made for other paraphernalia such as camera bags, batteries, memory cards or tripods, etc.

Re the camera, I'm a big fan of Canon and the 6D Mk1 and also of Wex Photography (dealers) - unfortunately they don't seem to have any Mk1s for sale :(

So the second choice is, as suggested above, MPB - they have a single 6D Mk1 for £560. The 6D is a fantastic camera in my opinion is the best bang for buck/value for money camera on the market. The one downside I have found to it is nearly every photograph I take has to have the crop angle adjusted. Even it's inbuilt spirit level is wrong lol!! It's not just me but everyone I lend the camera to tends to have the horizontal out exactly the same - a tweak of 10-15% dragging down on the right hand side. I can, however, live with and do live with that because everything else is just so fantastic and especially with high ISO settings - it's a world to its own with this. The mark 1 is said to be much better with noise than the Mk2. I had a Mk1 and needed to buy another camera and it didn't take much brain work to decide. Everything (apart from the horizon) works so well. In my opinion.

The 24-105mm f/4 lens is a superb all rounder, especially for tourism. MPB have an As New (they will mean that) for £429 which is a really good price. Many Canon users on the forum have this lens and I think I'm right in saying that all will testify on how good this lens is and, brand new it's not cheap, but it is a quality lens. With your budget you might want to buy the lens new (but you can trust MPB) as you'll probably end up keeping the lens for life. Cameras change over the years which is why it can pay to purchase them second hand.

I've suggested a lower end of your budget, giving you space for another lens or more equipment, and while others might not agree 100%, you can't go far wrong with a 6DMk1 and a 24-105mm f/4.

I don't want to turn this into a Canon/Nikon argument but I'd (genuinely) be interest to see someone post the virtues of a similar Nikon arrangement - they're the two top companies in the camera world.

Finally, if you're able to hold your horses for a month or so, the Photography Show is only four weeks away (NEC, Birmingham) and that's a great place to compare one model against another. I expect both Canon and Nikon (and Olympus) will be there - not sure about Pentax, Sony, etc but they might. MPB and Wex might not be there but Calumet (another dealer) could be.

9. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'd agree with Snips that a used combo from www.mpb.com is a good option.
    You won't go wrong with a 5D III and 24-105L. Total price around £1600.

Snips likes this.
  10. Timbin

Timbin Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There's an xt-2 on sale second hand in my local camera shop for £700, what would you say about that and some better quality lenses?

I'll have a look, thanks a lot :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2019
  11. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    xt2 is a fine camera, although you can actually get one brand new for £999 at present

12. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I dont know the xt2 but fuji do make good camera and lenses, you dont get the lens choice that you get with canon though, so used prices and availability may be a problem.... but I stand to be corrected by people in the know.... Also +1 for the 24-105mm f4 L canon lens, it hardly ever off my camera
    Paul