1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

New Canon 70-200 L lenses, yes, the f/4 and f/2.8

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by DonS, Jun 7, 2018.

1. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Canon has releases new versions of their 70-200 L IS lenses (not the non-IS version).

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II Information:

• Optical image stabilization at up to 5 stops of shake correction.
    • One flourite element and two UD elements for high image quality.
    • Highly resistant to dust and water, and improved durability even in harsh conditions.
    • Three image stabilization modes for outstanding results.
    • IS mode 3 effective when tracking moving subjects and assists when panning.
    • Minimum focusing distance shortened from 3.9ft to 3.3ft (1.2m to 1m).
    • Optimized lens placement and coatings minimize ghosting and flare.
    • Circular aperture (9 blades) for beautiful soft backgrounds.
    • USD price of $1299
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III Information:

• Constant f/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the entire zoom range.
    • Canon’s air sphere coating (ASC) minimizes ghosting and flare.
    • Optical image stabilization at up to 3.5 stops of shake correction.
    • Flourine coating on front and rear elements to help reduce smears and fingerprints
    • Highly resistant to dust and water and improved durability even in harsh conditions.
    • Inner focusing system with ring ultra sonic motor.
    • Full-time manual focus.
    • One flourite element and five UD elements for high image quality.
    • Minimum focusing distance of 3.9ft/1.2m
    • USD price of $2099

Haripaul likes this.
  2. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Don. I don't need a new lens....I need more time to take photos! Mrs S says that ain't happening!
    Mike

ed taylor and DonS like this.
  3. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I suspect that will be £1300 and £2099 respectively - probably plus VAT too

4. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Now that nearly all of Canon's camera bodies use high resolution sensors, it's beyond time to improve the lenses to better support that capability. It seems that both Canon and Nikon are rushing to fill the gap between lens resolution and camera resolution though both are well behind the efforts being made by Sigma.

5. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is true. I wonder if we are going to see a big drop off in value for older lenses, even L's, in the used market.

6. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I expect that prices for the older lenses will drop off, but that's normal. However, the older lenses are still great lenses and high resolution is certainly not essential for a great photograph. But most photographers buying high resolution camera bodies are, to some extent, pixel peepers who want the highest resolution or greatest detail they can in a photo. Why cripple a 45mp camera with a lens that can only achieve 20mp resolution?

None of the lens manufacturers will dis the older lenses. What we will see are new lenses advertised to best support the "latest" cameras. And this is made easier for them because owners of high resolution cameras quickly recognize that the resolution of their images are not what they expected. As resolution increases DOF decreases.

Haripaul and DonS like this.
  7. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I want to see the reviews and test results of the two lenses. I suspect that while both will show improvements over their predecessors it is the f/4 lens that will show the greatest improvements. I own the f/2.8 L II non IS version and have considered for some time trading it in for the IS version. Image stabilization is becoming more important for me. I also realize that I rarely use the lens wide open so that going from the f/2.8 L II to the f/4 L II is a thought. This announcement gives me more to consider.

The f/4 version is a little longer, lighter, has a larger front element (from 67-72mm), and has gone from 8 diaphram blades to 9 - an odd number makes for more interesting light patterns (stars).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  8. Phill104

Phill104 Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Panic, what do I do with my MK2 70-200 2.8 IS.......... To be honest, I rarely use it. Too heavy to lug around and in most situations I shoot in these days the 100-400 MK2 serves me better.

Seriously though, I do not buy into this resolution stuff. I remember reading an interview with one of the chief optical dudes at Nikon. He intimated quite strongly those virtual resolution tests were in his opinion, not a good measure. He even said that upgrading a lens simply because you upgrade a sensor to a high resolution is not needed as even their high end electronic measuring gear would not pick up a difference most of the time. Other areas are improved, like CA, AF speed, Coatings, edge sharpness etc and for those the new designs will make an improvement in almost all cases. Those virtual resolution measurements are based on taking CA, edge sharpness, flare etc into account under certain circumstances then using a simple equation to come up with a figure. As such they really do not tell the whole story.

Looking at the two lenses (and from Canon's own mouth, these are more of a cosmetic update than anything else with only minor improvements, at least where the F2.8 IS version is concerned) the F4 version seems to have the best changes such as that 9 blade aperture. I doubt as a result the prices for the old version will drop on the second hand market.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  9. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Trade-in the 70-200mm lens for something that you will use. I also rely on the 100-400mm lens rather than carry the 70-200mm. However, the 70-200mm is slightly sharper. If you want the greatest detail in an image, the 70-200mm will do a better job at capturing it within its range than the 100-400mm lens.

There is little need to rely on virtual resolution tests (simulation) when there are plenty of sites that do actual measurements. I tend to ignore MTF data from Canon and Nikon as they are calculated rather than measured by actual testing such as done by Photo Zone, DxO Mark or Lens Rentals. Zeiss MTF are said to be by measurement but they provide little information about how they test. I particularly like Lens Rentals' tests as they test a minimum of 10 lenses and average the results.

You have the cameras with which to test resolution differences yourself, if you were so inclined. Your EOS 7D2 camera has a high resolution sensor that provides greater detail than your EOS 5D3. In fact the 7D2 has greater pixel density (resolution) than the EOS 5DS (6 MP/cm² vs. 5.86 MP/cm²). The pixel density of the 5D3 is 2.58 MP/cm². Find an older Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and test it against your 24-70mm f/2.8L II and you will see that there is a significant difference in lens resolution. You'll also find that the difference in resolution is less noticeable with the 5D3.

10. Phill104

Phill104 Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I do plans on doing something with that 70-200, it just sits there gathering dust these days. It used to get carried around in my bag and do nothing but burn calories. Shame really.

I have an old 28-105 that was I believe a kit lens for my old EOS 5 back in the film days. For the time it was a decent lens. At the middle the resolving power is excellent but it does fall off to the edges. I do plan on getting one of the new 24-105L lenses so when I travel I can bring just the one lens. That might be an interesting one to compare.

11. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ok, so you guys are making me think I need a 100-400 now :) I would like more reach than my 70-200 and 1.4 TC

Mike Singh likes this.
  12. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    We always want more reach!
    Mike

13. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    at least!!

14. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The 100-400mm f/4-5.6L is an excellent lens and a pleasure to use.