1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

new lens

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by LYNN GRIFFITHS, Jun 5, 2019.

1. LYNN GRIFFITHS

LYNN GRIFFITHS Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    hi
    sorry to ask the question, but I have a sigma 70/300 lens, and I am off to the fjords on sat. I have not had that much time to use it.(moved house). what I cant get my head round, is that its got auto focus on the zoom, but I can not seem to get a sharp focus. am I missing something?, I am wondering wether to just take my Sony cyborshot with a fixed 300 zoom, until I get more practise. I wanted to take it, but then could miss a shot messing about with it. have I made sense??? thanks. lynn

2. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Have you tried focusing on things at various distances? You may be too close to something. Also, some lenses will not autofocus if your aperture is too small, so look at that. Are you doing it in a dark area? It may need more light. There is a chance there is something wrong with the lens, but none of my suggestions will take more than a couple of minutes to try.

LYNN GRIFFITHS likes this.
  3. LYNN GRIFFITHS

LYNN GRIFFITHS Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks donS for the quick reply. I will have another go tomorrow. like I say first time I have had this type of lens, but I hope I can master it. I don't like to be beaten!!!!!!!!lol

4. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    if your images appear blurred , it may not be a focus problem it may be too slow a shutter speed so you are getting motion blur.
    Are you using AV mode or TV mode or manual (or even auto)
    Take a few shots tomorrow and post them on here so we can see.

Paul

DonS, LYNN GRIFFITHS and DwarvenChef like this.
  5. LYNN GRIFFITHS

LYNN GRIFFITHS Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    hi paul, yes I will try and take some tomorrow, don't get a variety of birds here, but I will try and focus on something!!!.I usally have manual.

6. LYNN GRIFFITHS

LYNN GRIFFITHS Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    IMG_3991 (2).JPG IMG_4000 (2).JPG IMG_4008.JPG rsz_1img_3979.jpg

well heres a few from this morning, not brilliant, I know. I don't know whether to take this camera with me or not. I may as well just take my sony cyborshot because if I am messing about with the settings on the canon, I will probably miss half the shots. I was so disappointed this morning. one minute iwas in shade then sun, also got the dog with me, (I love him really) so to be honest I did not really enjoy myself. sorry for moaning. we are away on Saturday, so I will get back in touch when I am back home.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2019