1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

New Lightroom 7.3 with lots of changes

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by DonS, Apr 3, 2018.

1. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    spuriosity and MikeB like this.
  2. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    BTW, I do not suggest updating yet. This one is full of bugs. I did not have my Develop Presets convert to the new format (they are xmp files now not the lrtemplate they were before) and several other issues with the new features.

3. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well I updated last night :blurry-drunk:

Having the dehaze filter with the clarity/ saturation sliders etc is one good thing, as it was very tricky to jump to quickly before. It’s also been moved to a similar place in PS

4. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Interesting changes, most of which have no effect on my workflow but I do appreciate the large Curves panel. Having the Dehaze moved is fine and it also appears they retuned its behavior to better protect the highlights - more testing of that needed. Shooting raw I usually have the profile set to Adobe Standard but I do select a different profile for some photos and that change of location and handling will take getting used to.

5. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    April 2018: "...new features and enhancements, support for new cameras and lenses, and bug fixes."
    February 2018: "new features and enhancements, support for new cameras and lenses, and bug fixes."
    December 2017: "new features and enhancements, support for new cameras and lenses, and bug fixes."

Obviously the winter wasn't cold enough to kill them all off :)

6. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    One thing I HATE. Adobe only lists user reported bugs in their list of fixes. Internally found ones get listed as "bug fixes".

I certainly like that when you mouse over a preset it now gives a preview in the main window rather than the little preview pane. Really, that does not need to exist now.

spuriosity and Snips like this.
  7. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    To me, the most important part of this update is the leveraging of the raw calibration profile that was updated last month to Process Version 4. Simply put, the updated profiles show a significant improvement from those using Process Version 3, adopted in 2012.

When we compare image editors such as Adobe's Lightroom, Phase One's Capture One, ON1's Photo Raw 2018, or DxO's PhotoLab we first compare the process used to convert from raw to an RGB image before evaluating the features and functionality of the editing processes. This conversion is a translation process based on how each of these companies reverse engineered the camera manufacturer's raw specifications as well as their interpretation of what it should look like. While all of these applications use sliders, when an application brings in an image 0 (zero) does not necessarily mean 0. For example, DxO and Phase One adds some contrast and clarity during the conversion. Other applications make other adjustments and it is from that point that we start our editing process - after the application has provided it's contribution. These are not huge contributions but it has led to discussions ad nauseum about which one is best - it just doesn't matter because you have all of the editing tools necessary to change the image as you see fit.

It is because Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, etc. do not share their specifications that it has to be reverse engineered. Consequently, there are differences between how each product does it.

In my experience, DxO did a better job for me converting Canon's CR2 raw files than Adobe, by a hair. Others found that Capture One worked better for them. With this Proces Version 4, Adobe has reengineered their method for converting the raw image to a RGB image - the first step in editing that can make a significant difference in the final processed image.

I'm not a big fan of presets but this leveraging of the new profile looks interesting enough that I will explore it further.

8. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've just taken the full-fat Adobe CC subscription, and I did open Lightroom a few days ago after not having used it for a year, I prompty shut it again as I couldn't even find the panel to import things!

I need to investigate this properly!

9. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    LOL! - It's in the Library module (bottom left button gets you going)

Andy 0 likes this.
  10. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I changed it yesterday and then took it out for a five hour spin; just something so simple as the dehaze tool on the basics panel is a very welcome and useful change. Those profiles systems are rather useful as well, being able to pre-visualise what something will look akin to on one panel is a long overdue thing in my book, and when I get a few hours to sit down and poke it with a stick properly I might have a look to see if it's possible to roll my own for there.

11. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Five hours? I do not think I have ever used any software for that long all at once. I like the changes, they are great and will be of much use, but it feels a little unpolished.

12. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The unpolished thing seems to be signature for Adobe now-a-days, remember the 6.whatever import fiasco, and then the library module in 7; I sometimes get a feeling in the gut that some of this stuff is beta or it's left intentionally unfinished so users get a whiff of it and then are on to the next upgrade when it drops.

As for five hours, that's about normal for a stint in Lightroom for me; it was the four hour Photoshop session afterwards that's unusual... I think that's more time I've spent in that in one sitting in the last 2 years... And the output was one singular image (which is currently clogging up about 12GB of space until folk decide it's finished!)

13. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    DonS likes this.
  14. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've not found where the pre-installed presets are on the system yet to take one to bits to see how that works but with the nosing around and the conversion of the develop presets to XMP (don't know where they are on Windows but they are /Users/<username>/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings/ on the Mac) shouldn't be too hard to write up some batch scripting to go and apply a job lot through ExifTool.

15. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Windows:
    1. C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings

16. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  17. spuriosity

spuriosity Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    My Photoshop is buggy as hell since the update too. Hopefully this latest one will fix it!