1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

New Zeiss Otus 100mm Lens announced

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by MikeB, Apr 25, 2019.

1. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Zeiss recently announced the new Otus 100mm f/1.4 prime lens for Canon and Nikon full-frame DSLRs. In some ways I don't see the point. Pretty much every 100mm, 105mm, 135mm lens by any of the major brands have high resolution and produce extraordinarily sharp images. The major selling point for this lens appears to be the elimination of color fringing. At $4,500 USD I think I can live with what I have. But I suppose that if color fringing is a bugaboo for you and you have a lot of loose change in your pockets, then it may be just the lens you've been looking for. Of course, it is manual focus.

Mike Singh likes this.
  2. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It does seem a little pointless but will I'm sure appeal to the snobs with more money than sense. The Nikon 105 1.4 seems to be a spectacular performer by all accounts so not much of a requirement on this side of the fence.

3. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    They've just announced it on the local "pro" dealership website given their markup I'd be surprised if it came in from there at less than five and a half thousand; at that price, definitely not on the shopping list!

4. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Matt Granger did a fairly good video comparing the new Zeiss Otus 100mm f/1.4 with comparisons to the Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED. www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgNbmMlvU6Q

Bottom line is that the Zeiss does indeed provide sharper images with more contrast then the excellent Nikon lens. In addition, its captures are slightly warmer.

Nearly all of my primes are manual focusing and manual lenses do require a different workflow than autofocus lenses. Granger was using Otua 100 manual lens as a portrait lens, something I wouldn't consider. For that I'd want autofocus. Portrait lenses do not require edge-to-edge sharpness which is something that the Otus brand has a reputation for delivering. Though having the sharpest focus available at the widest aperture and having the higher contrast and smooth bokeh that Zeiss lenses provide are qualities that many photographers would love to have.

Expensive? Absolutely. Worth it? Depends on how demanding you are to shoot wide-open with the sharpest lens edge-to-edge -- and how deep your pockets are.

I'm not that demanding for detail at the edges or require the improved contrast of the Otus; and, my priorities are such that spending $5,000 on a 100mm lens doesn't even make it on my list. So, no Otus 100mm for me. But I do appreciate that Zeiss delivers superior products for photographers that demand that level of quality and can afford them.

Whether its a car, a laptop, or a camera body the difference in cost between a product that is great and one that is superior will often take your breath away, and so it is with the Otus brand of lenses.