1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Nikon announces new 180-400mm f/4E zoom lens with built-in 1.4x teleconverter for just $12,400 USD

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by MikeB, Jan 9, 2018.

1. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nikon is now producing an upgrade to its 200-400 telephoto, a constant aperture f/4 beauty having 27 lens elements in 19 groups. The optimized, built-in teleconverter has 8 elements in 5 groups. Nothing is too good for this lens, instead of a friction-type tripod collar, the 180-400mm f/4E sports a ballbearing equipped tripod collar.

It uses nano crystal coatings throughout, 8 ED glass elements (that's extra-low dispersion not the other ED), and one flourite lens element all tied up into a 3.5KG package that will help you with your goal to compete in the Mr. Universe contest.

Available in a store near you soon.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-p...s-nikkor-180-400mm-f%2f4e-tc1.4-fl-ed-vr.html

2. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'll stick with the 200-500. With the converter on, that lens is a 5.6. Can't justify that price tag.

MikeB likes this.
  3. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Can't say that I blame you. That's a pretty steep price.

Kevin Fox likes this.
  4. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If I need one I can rent it.

5. JimGarnett

JimGarnett Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    No
    It is a lot of money but I imagine it will blow the 200-500 out of the water. I bought the 200-500 when it first came out but I will consider the 180-400 once I see some comparison tests. I'd sell my 500 f4 and 200-500 f5.6 to part-fund the purchase if I do go for one. It looks like it's going to cost somewhere close to ten or eleven thousand pounds [guessing].

6. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    i'll take 2... oh ooops sorry nope wont fit on my Oly....... damn me thats a ludicrous price for such a slow lens. just get a tamron 150-600 for a 2oth or the price

7. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    LOL - get an adapter. Slow? It's not like having a sweet bokeh is in much demand for these focal lengths and I expect that it delivers on a short depth of field. Besides Nikon's 400mm f/2.8 at $11,200 and Canon's 400mm f/2.8 at $10,000 every super telephoto is f/4 with some f/5.6. But it does seem a bit expensive given similar focal lengths of other OEMs. If we're looking for a reason not to buy it, it's the wrong color for me.

8. GJ Vernon

GJ Vernon Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is interesting for me as i am looking at a 400mm for shooting hummingbirds in CR, i was initially aiming for the 400mm 2.8 prime and adding a 1.4iii TC,
    but may be i´ll wait until March when the reviews come out for this new model as the older 200-400 was quite soft on the long end..

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 11:46 AM
    MikeB likes this.