1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Nikon confirms FF mirrorless Camera

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by DonS, Jul 25, 2018.

1. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Mike Singh likes this.
  2. ed taylor

ed taylor Super Ed Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes read about the fact a day or so ago.
    I wonder what impact it will have on the DSLR market . Could devalue the DSLR quite a bit. Depending the its cost itself .

3. SFTphotography

SFTphotography Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don’t get the popularity or desire for mirrorless cameras. I’d much rather have an SLR.

1. I prefer optical viewfinders. You might use live view to focus and use the preview histogram.
    2. Mirrorless cameras let in a fornicate ton more dirt onto the sensor.
    3. The controls are much smaller.
    4. Battery life is laughably bad on some of them.
    5. Using big lenses they don’t balance right in the hand. A sigma art prime. 2.8 zoom balances better in the hand in a big slr body.

Personally I hope Nikon would develop a medium format digital system. Imagine a d850 with a sensor 1.5 to 2x bigger with big sharp medium format lenses but laid out like the camera you have.

4. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hoping they don't make a mess of it like the Nikon V series mirrorless!

I've not been a fan of mirrorless, up until this generation they've always seemed way behind compared to an SLR in certain aspects but I think with Nikon (and others) entering the fray with full frame mirrorless things are going to change somewhat. I'm just wondering what this will do to the SLR market, not just in terms of will it affect sales but in terms of technology transfer.

5. SFTphotography

SFTphotography Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I really doubt it’ll do much.

Mirrorless APSC and m43 have been around for yonks and APSC SLRs have still sold by the bucket load. I doubt people will stop buying d850s just because the same sensor is in a smaller more fiddly body.

6. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The new mount means lots of expense for those that wish to jump unless there is some sort of adapter that leaves zero drawbacks.

Hopefully in Canon the EF Mount will work for mirrorless. That would be a real coup for Canon if they could pull that trick off.

Interesting times, though in many ways I prefer an optical viewfinder.

7. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I’m not 100% sure on FF mirrorless. The weight saving, a big deal for me as my back has finally had enough of the D750 kit, would not be that great as you can’t avoid the need for big heavy glass. Once you start mucking around with adaptors for existing glass, it all gets heavier and/or more expensive to chuck it all in and restart your kitbag. The wysiwyg viewfinder is a big plus for me but it’s no use if the thing stays at home. My little m43 kit is a real pleasure to use and weighs, in comparison, next to nothing. Is it as good as the D750? No, but it’s good enough.

Craig Roberts, a very good photographer with an excellent vlog, makes a great case for the EM1 mk2 as an ideal choice as a landie camera for most people.

8. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I agree with you here. I find lenses tend to be the heavy part. Of course I have the boy scout mentality and like to be prepared so I always bring too many. FF lenses, even with a new mount, are still going to be fairly large.

9. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Whether you have a mirrorless or DSLR the size of the lens is primarily dictated by the size of the image circle and focal length. Bid sensors get big lenses. There is some experimentation with new optical designs that may have an effect on all lenses later. Hopefully, Nikon will get a boost from the announcement though I liken it to the type of announcements Microsoft made during the 80s - FUD - fear, uncertainty and doubt intended to undercut the competition even though there was no product to show for it. My hope and expectation is that Canon will remain conservative in their marketing approach and not announce their product until is has been tested and ready for production.

10. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Microsoft were the masters of FUD. I was an OS/2 user and supporter and MS used to keep announcing what was coming in their next version of Windows. IBM on the other hand, at the time would have marketed sushi as "cold, raw fish"

MikeB likes this.