1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Nikon D5100

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by Raja, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Raja

Raja New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello All,

Hope you're all well?

I have Nikon d5100 and brought a external flash YNGNUO YN560 IV YN-560IV

To take better photos

The problem I am have I can't get the flash to talk to Camera. I believe the d5100 does not support

Is there anyone can help or advice?

Tia

2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello and welcome to the forum. You are correct in one matter. The YN-560I will not control the Nikon, and does not "talk to it". The YN-560IV is a manual flash which has a single pin on the hot shoe that only receives a signal from the camera that it's time to flash. After setting it up manually, it can now control other flashes on the same channel.

Raja likes this.
  3. Raja

Raja New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks
    Thanks, Roger S, I am beginner still learning, I have trouble setting up the external flash to take the photos clearly

on the camera, it's prompt to use the pop flash. when the meter is on darker side

Can you advise on what setting i should use for external flash indoor photos

4. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you put the flashes in slave mode then you can fire both off camera with your pop up flash set to its lowest power.
    Manual flash is the way to start as with only a centre pin on the flashes, ittl isn't an option.
    commander mode will not work either

just set the flashes to quarter power and start from there.
    it's very confusing to start with so go on YouTube and search for viewing flash with pop up flash. Loads of stuff on there.

5. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Your 5100 is not that far off from the 5000 I have. I put a non Nikon manual flash on it (hot shoe), and set the camera to S - Shutter priority, at 1/200 which is the highest sync speed that these cameras can deal with on manual flashes. From there, just set your Yongnuo to 1/8 power and try a test shot. If the image is too dark, bump the flash up to 1/4 power and try again.

After your first few practice sessions, you can experiment with lowering the shutter speed or using your +/- button on the top of the camera to adjust the exposure compensation which adjusts your aperture while still maintaining whichever shutter speed you have selected.

I have extensive practice with manual flash, so most of the initial settings come naturally according to my eye. I remember the heck I went through as a beginner, though trying to not waste film back in those film days.