1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Nikon D610

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Shaunmbs, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If home portraits of your family is what it’s mostly going to be used for then the D610 and 50mm will do a good job. My first thoughts were to say save a little more money and get a used D750 but the advantages that would give you, weather sealing and improved AF, aren’t really things you need. If you wanted to take the 610 out in bad weather then get some Optech rain sleeves for a couple of quid from Amazon.

2. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you. Primarily that’s what it’ll be used for. I’m not dedicated to be trudging around in the rain with camera equipment just quite yet.

3. fmw

fmw Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    So we disagree. Not uncommon for me. I grew up shooting with a speed graphic and 120 roll film back. I made images that were just as good as the ones I make now. The equipment, for the most part, is immaterial. A good photographer can get the image with any modern camera - even an old boat anchor like a speed graphic.

I was defending the OP's choice for the camera he desires. If it stirred things up then that's positive. I've never owned one but I'll bet I can make effective images with it. So can he and so can you if your technique is up to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2018
  4. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The price you have for that camera is excellent and looks like a great buy.

5. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Some threads attract debate - 'tis the nature of the internet, Shaun. Sounds a great buy, match it with an affordable prime and the difference in IQ will smack you between the eyes :)

6. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yeah I now understand that Steve, I will do just that and like you say. Sure the images will improve no end straight of the bat. Thanks the rest of you I really didn’t mean to kick up a fuss

Dare I start the prime lens debate to match this set up for the photography type I explained earlier in the post.......Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 072

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2018
  7. steve b

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Watch this vid Shaun, it will tell you most of what you want to know in about 5 mins.

8. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ok I’ve done just that. I was thinking a 50 or maybe a 85 before I even watched it. Maybe a few of you can help. The space is roughly 6m length by 2.5m wide. If I flip the room it’s 6m by 3.1m due to the angled wall then I have French doors to contend with. No other natural light (windows) in the room.

9. steve b

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think the fifty will give you more options for group stuff, I don't see distortion on single portraits either with a fifty and a FF, there's enough IQ to take the shot in landscape and crop to portrait. Others will disagree with me, I'm sure. I take a lot of portraits of the grandchildren, personally I think as long as the focus is spot on, on the leading eye, too much detail in a portrait can mean a lot of work in post processing, I generally use software to gently clean up the skin anyway, Topaz Clean is a good add on for Adobe software.

10. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If the 50mm works fine in that space using the D3300, then an 80mm lens will work about the same on the D610 with a shallower depth of field. Both lenses are great on either camera.

There is not really an issue of primes vs zooms. Primes are easier to make and typically cost less and produce better image quality - how much better really depends on the quality of the lens. Primes are normally faster than zooms in that you can open the aperture to f/1.4 (or better) which provides 4x the amount of light of a typically fast zoom (f/2.8). However, zooms are generally far more convenient to carry than 2-4 primes and the image quality on the better lenses is excellent. Generalizations are problematic but typically given the same f-stop, a prime will provide better image quality than a zoom - how much better depends on the comparison lenses and focal lengths and ranges from marginally better to significantly better. The greater the focal length range of a zoom, the more compromises have to be made that compromise image quality. In fact, the best zooms have a multiplier factor of 3 or less (such as a 24mm-70mm) - getting a wide focal range of the highest quality zooms is not a whole lot different than a wide focal range of primes.

11. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Mike - I understand where your coming from with what you’ve said however I don’t have a prime currently, I have the 18-55 and a 55-20. Sorry if I mislead in anyway to make you think I had a 50 already I haven’t. That’s what I’m trying to work out which one etc, hence giving giving the size of the room. I won’t have any lenses for the D610 I’ll have to start from scratch again.

12. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ok, but you do still have the D3300. so just find the focal length that works best with that and multiply it by 1.5 to get the focal length for the D610 giving you the same field of view. You can then choose the closest prime to that focal length or a zoom lens having that in its range.

Shaunmbs likes this.
  13. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Quick question about primes. Didn’t wanna start a new thread so I’ll just stick it on here. Let’s say I had a 50 f/1.8 it goes to f/11 (might be wrong, probably am) are the increment f/stops better quality then a zoom at the same focal length and aperture? Eg my 18-55 f/4-5.6 at 30what ever mm to get roughly 50mm on ff at say f/4.5 will the prime be a crisper image or will there be little comparison and the prime only comes into play below f/4?

14. Newbandit

Newbandit Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    YES :)

Shaunmbs and steve b like this.
  15. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Simplicity, I like that :chicken_dance:

Newbandit likes this.
  16. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Haven't read all the posts but the D610 is weather sealed, and excellently sealed at that. I can vouch for this after abusing mine over several winters in all conditions and dropping one in the sea with it working a day later after tipping out all the sea water and sand. It went away for an insurance claim soon after, sea water and electronics don't get on too well.
    Is it just me, but isn't £800 a little bit steep for a D610. Maybe not if it's genuinely new in box.
    I picked up a second hand D800 two years ago for £990 with 5,000 actuations.
    Price aside, the D610 is a very capable camera but did have issues with oil spots on the sensor on the top left hand corner of pictures. Mine went away for repair under recall warranty but still suffered from sensor spots after a new shutter mechanism was fitted. I believe the new models addressed this issue. If not it's just a simple case of wet cleaning the sensor occasionally.

Gremlin likes this.
  17. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well i'm assured its brand new in the box after a recent insurance job (family friend) so have no reason to doubt this. i can safely say that i will probably most definitely not be dropping it in the sea although i only live 2 mile away. as said it will be solely for portraiture of the kids and occasionally took outside when were on holiday etc.

Gremlin likes this.
  18. Newbandit

Newbandit Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  19. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Simple answers easily lead you astray. It is true that primes are known for having better image quality but, depending on the comparison, sometimes only marginally better. Also, some fast primes are more specialized than others - they may have unequaled image quality in the center but sharpness/contrast will abruptly drop off as you move to the shoulders. For example Canon's EF 50mm f/1.2L or their EF 85mm f/1.2L. With zooms, those having a very limited focal range will compare better than zooms having a larger focal range.

Compare, for example, Canon's EF 50mm f/1.2L to their EF 24-70mm f/2.8 and you will see that the prime does not compete well, especially on the shoulders. What this prime does well is having a smooth, creamy bokeh that portrait photographers love - it is not nearly as useful as the 50mm f/1.4 for all around shooting. Comparing th 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom to the EF 50mm f/1.4 non-L lens and you will see that the prime does slightly better than 50mm on the zoom.

Personally, I favor primes over zooms. Most of my lenses are primes. When I can take the time to set up a shot, I will use a prime lens to capture the image. But I recognize and depend on the convenience of a zoom for walk around, spur of the moment photography. When I try that with a prime, it seems that I've always selected the wrong prime for "that" moment and I need to dive into the camera bag for a lens change. Also, while lens for lens, the primes are usually lighter, more durable, and less expensive than a zoom lens, a bag full primes is a lot harder to carry around than just a couple zooms.

If you are planning on just shooting family portraits in the one room, I'd get a prime. If I wanted greater versatility and convenience, then I would be looking to a zoom.