1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Nikon P900 help!

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by Peckhambirdman, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Peckhambirdman

Peckhambirdman New Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    hi everyone, I’m new here ✋

I was wondering if someone could help me, I know it’s not the right camera and it’s bit great in low light but I will have to do

I use my P900 for wildlife photos but I have a music gig coming up and I said I’ll take some pictures. It’s a small room, the stage has pretty good lighting but I just wanted some advice on what settings I should use (no flash)

Thank you in advance

2. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day PB

Your P900 should be okay for this project - even though your main use might well be wildlife outdoors

Settings - ezy-pezy mate.

If I were doing it [using my Panasonic equivalent to your P900]
    a) "A" Aperture mode, with Aperture locked on maximum aperture, usually F2,8 to F4 as you zoom (leaving the shutter speed to alter as lighting alters)
    b) ISO - 800
    c) EV +/- button set to "EV -1,0"
    d) WB to "Auto WB"
    e) set shutter operation to "low-speed burst"
    f) during use, DO NOT zoom over 20x zoom to get closeups of the singer's eyelashes!!! ~ keep to the wide angle end of the zoom
    g) fully charge 2 batteries & take the spare battery with you

Okay - taking the pics:-
    Use the camera eyepiece at all times - not the rear LCD screen as it will annoy the people around you
    In use you will not hear the gentle 'click' of the shutter due to the noise of the band - just remember that it is working and all will be well
    Each scene, hold shutter button for about 1-second ... this will give you 4 images per shoot. Overall this will probably give you 500 pics for the whole event. Once back at home, eyeball each group of 4 pics, select the best and delete the remainder. This will probably give you 80 - 100 "goodies". From the goodies, do a reselect for the 'best of' and come down to 15-20 or so. These are the ones you put in an album or onto your web site so that you get known as a 'crash hot gig photographer'

Hope this helps
    Phil

3. Peckhambirdman

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Thank you so much for your help that really does help. I just had a bit of test f2.4 ISO 1600 and SS 1/160 and it worked very well but I feel I need to change something else so I will take everything you said on board.

Had a feeling coming across this Forum I’d get a lot of help

Thanks again :)

4. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi PB

The important thing I have found from theatre & night-club stuff is to underexpose images. I know this sounds odd, but one must remember that the job of the camera's light meter is to take the bright bits and the dark bits and average them out to make a 'good' picture. While this is beaut for a landscape it doesn't work so well for theartre stuff where the subject person is under a spotlight

Left to its own devices the camera will try to lighten the background, making the entertainer blow out with over-exposure. [ps- I know also there's other ways of doing all this - but I'm just suggesting the ezy-pezy way]

So by setting the EV+/- button to EV -1,0 you are beating the light meter at its own game and coming up with a much better result.

Whether you need 1600-ISO is up to you - but from experience with superzoom / small sensors, ISO-800 gives good results without noise becoming a problem

ps- I've recently been to a rock concert and posted some results ... have a look at "Rockers in Concert" and let me know your thoughts
    Phil

5. Peckhambirdman

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Ok thank you once again that makes complete sense, I’ll lower the ISo and EV down -1,0. I didn’t get a chance to try out your settings (I know they will work I just want to store them in the camera) but I will tonight. I have less anxiety for the gig now. I will check out your pics

Thanks again mate