1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Nikon Z mount

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by Phill104, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Looks very interesting, and a lot more like the EF mount where the electronics and pin design is concerned. Still not sure about it though. Introducing a new mount system cannot be an easy decision especially as a complete range of new lenses needs to be added despite the adapter. Only time will tell if it is a good move.

I am sure Canon will launch their system soon and hopefully EF will be a viable option for them. I really don’t see flange distance as a problem with some imaginative design.

2. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It seems a bit lax to have so few kenses available at launch though. A 24-70 f/4 and two short primes. Who in their right mind is going to pay $600 for a 50mm 1.8? I'll be interested to see how well the F mount adaptor works. In theory with the reduced flange to sensor distance the adaptor only needs to be an extension tube in effect so all lenses with in lens motors should perform exactly as they do on DSLR's.

I've got no interest in a change though, I'm hoping it might bring the D850 price down in the next year or two as a consequence though.

3. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Could be interesting.

They've finally developed something about as good as Canon's 30 year old EF mount.

I know this will result in some fan-mail and the usual 'why do you h8 Nikon m8?' messages but I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Nikon's F-mount is becoming a bit of a joke in [current year]. Fantastic bodies and lenses, just all held together by a crappy, small, outdated mount.

Hopefully this will propagate across all of Nikon's camera bodies in due course.

I don't have an issue with Nikon, just the daft F-mount nonsense.

4. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    According to Nikon, 90 of the 360 F mount lenses will work fully while the rest will have various compromises.

I agree, just three lenses seems a weak launch. There also seems little to ba saved weight wise so that is no real reason to switch.

F Mount was a poor design built for compatibility rather than the more forward thinking but lambasted at the time EF mount. Canon certainly got that one right and it will be very interesting to see how it translates into mirrorless.

5. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Reading elsewhere, it seems the new Nikon mirrorless cameras will only have one card slot. I’m sure that’s gone down well with any pro/wedding shooters thinking of buying one.

6. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Seems a bit of a clanger that one...

7. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, but

Nikon seems to be getting their act together with regards to mirrorless. The two sensor resolutions are great. The 24mp is just right for video and high quality imaging and the 46mp should make the high resolution fanboys happy.

The nikonites who defended Nikon's hanging onto the smaller diameter mount may be unhappy but the larger diameter will allow for some improved lens designs though it will require the lenses to be larger and possibly heavier.

For years Canon users were able to make use of Nikon lenses having manual aperture and some adapters allowing control over some automatic apertures. With the Nikon's new mount it may be possible to use Canon's lenses, given a suitable adapter for the automatic aperture.

You can bet that the Sigma Art lenses will be adapted to the new mount quickly, and I suspect that using Nikon's adapter for their existing lenses will be no great hardship.

One of the biggest issues would seem to be Nikon's recent record in launching new cameras and the reputation they've been earning with having so many recalls.

8. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's an interesting thing, but I'm not convinced with it as I was waiting to see what this would bring before off out shopping; I've a feeling that this would feel really hard work to keep hold of in my hands for a long period of time. I find that the 800 series are borderline without a grip, and this thing here is smaller than the 750.

In terms of specification, that Z6 looks great and that lack of card slot doesn't really bother me but I not going to buy a camera off spec (did that with an apartment, what a pain in the backside that turned out to be) and will try to get to the open day at the Nikon centre in Barcelona to try one out (still thinking that it's going to be a pair of D810 come the end of this tour).