1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Film and Vintage Forum' started by Haripaul, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Haripaul

Haripaul Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I bumped into an old friend the other day and after general catchup chat we spoke about photography and he said he had a old Nikon f2 AS with 50mm 1.2 lens that he wanted to sell. He said he only used it twice as it was complex for him to use. So i'm tempted to buy it at the right price (cheap) just to go back in time.
    Do you think it's a good idea or just a flash in the pan.

Mike Singh likes this.
  2. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I think life's too short and you should listen to your gut.

I'm sure you have worked hard all your days and I'm of the mind that when I'm in my latter years (not suggesting that you are;)), I do not want to look back on my life and think, "Oh, I wish I'd done this, I wish I'd gone there, I wish I'd bought that etc etc."

Go on treat yourself, you deserve it.

3. Haripaul

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You are a wise old owl:peace: and I am in my latter years. My gut says yes and my pocket says no mainly because of the cost of film and processing and waiting for results.

Mike Singh likes this.
  4. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you're willing to process b&w film then the costs can be quite reasonable. If you yearn for the "film look" it sounds like you have quite a deal available. If you have no strong inclination to shoot film, then its not really a bargain - just a temptation to spend money.

Mike Singh and Haripaul like this.
  5. Newbandit

Newbandit Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Owls are far from wise. IMHO you will find it very frustrating and get bored with it really fast. They do make nice paper weights though

Haripaul and tenchy like this.
  6. Gate Keeper

Gate Keeper Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Paul, did you go ahead with the purchase?

7. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've been after one of those 50mm 1.2's for ages just for the fun of the daft aperture, mad bokeh and weird focus across the frame! I only found them around £500 though and there's always something else I want more at that sort of cost.

8. Gate Keeper

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 along with several others including a Nikkor 35mm 2.8 tilt-shift Lens and an early Nikon F camera complete with its leather case. During the summer we moved from London to Bristol and my wife wants me to throw out all of my vintage Nikon gear because it is clutter, horrors! I am not back in the UK until early July. I was keeping the lenses and camera for sentimental reasons, but now the wife wants it gone.

9. Haripaul

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    He's away on holiday at the moment, so I'll talk to him when he gets back.

10. Gate Keeper

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for replying. I have forgotten how to post up images on this site, otherwise I would post up the photos of the Nikon f and it’s lenses. The gear had belonged to my Father-in-law which I have had for many years and never used it. It was Nikon’s first SLR camera and was introduced in April 1959. I would prefer if the camera and the lenses went to an enthusiast. See how you get on with your friend on his return and what he says.

Haripaul likes this.