1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Not using ETTL to freeze action question

Discussion in 'Photography Tips, Tricks & Tutorials Forum' started by Pteranadon, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ok, I purchased a hood loupe. Basically a hood to put over my LCD screen.
    It has an eye piece so that no external light can enter while viewing.
    Using it in live view (the camera) and pressing shutter with ETTL has a delayed responce. No problem as of now- as I practiced with a stationery object.

This was explained so that I don't get the "why not just use ETTL...."

More of a flash question- what are the rules or guides of getting same outcome of using ETTL but without using it?
    Quite the "rookie" question possibly.

2. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    How much of a delay? With my setup I get no noticeable delay from ETTL using the viewfinder but I have to admit I have never tried with live view. Only time I get a noticeable delay is when red eye reduction is engaged.

3. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day marc

There will always be a delay when using Live View mode ... as the camera has to "very quickly" drop the mirror, flush the sensor, shoot the image in the usual way, raise the mirror & return to Live View mode.

It's one of the reasons that a dedicated mirrorless system outperforms all Live View modes ... but as we also read, not all mirrorless are equal to traditional SLRs in other areas :)

Hope this helps
    Phil

4. Pteranadon

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A significant if I have a figity bug in macro I presume. Have not tested.

I would assume i am going to grin n bear it and hope for the best.

5. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I’ll test on my 7D2 and 80D later and see how much of a delay they give

6. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The 7D2 is in my car, it’s cold and late so couldn’t be bothered to nip out and get that. However, the 80D is indoors so did some tests with that. I tried with both the YN24-EX and 600Ex-RT flashes and tbh, there was no noticeably longer delay in live view with ETTL than there is through the viewfinder. Both situations seem very responsive. I was using the 60mm lens.

Pteranadon likes this.
  7. Pteranadon

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Like u said I have not tried it on a live subject. And as it seems like there is one, atleast on the 77d, I googled and got an older thread on a forum.
    This guy (his photos are awesome) said not to use ettl b/c (on live view) of the delay.

...I don't just assume everyone is right...but his skills...
    (Brian Valentine aka Lord V)

8. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Not sure which brand you are talking about, but on Canon DPAF sensors the mirror has no need to drop at all. Depending on mode you can either use the standard shutter or the electronic shutter so in the latter no mechanical activity happens at all.

Looking at Canon, the live view modes on the 80D, 5D4, 1DX2 and 7D2 etc all have a faster frame rate than the EOS R, focus just as fast so outperform their own mirrorless model in most ways. They lack an EVF which is more of a choice than a performance issue.

9. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I will have to look him up. Personally I rarely use live view for macro so have not had the experience. I always shoot macro handheld and find if I use the screen I cannot keep the camera as steady as I can with the camera braced against my face. That is why I was interested to try, my lack of experience.

10. Pteranadon

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Google: hoodloupe. All the benefits of what you may need plus live view. Tried it today. Photos came out slightly darker, but may have to do with how bright I have my screen.
    Downside: battery drain to have on live view.
    I used 2 rubber bands to hold it up against camera.
    I actually like it. But did not try on macro.

Phill104 likes this.
  11. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thx mate ... I'm used to entry level Pentax - Nikon - Canons with kit lenses .... that walk into the classroom door
    Phil

12. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think Nikon work in a different way, at least the ones I have tried do. Even the D500 felt sluggish in live view mode compared to my 80D and 7D2. Canon did a great job with their DPAF.

13. Pteranadon

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think when the chance arises to get in close to something alive is when any issues will arise.
    I am thinking even if there is a delay and with the magnification, the only effect is if the insect moves in that moment between.

14. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you've the 3D tracking enabled on the camera, that does add some lag in to things; and TTL would a bit as well as these things would be continually being processed. Completely turning that stuff off, as well as highlight compensation, 14bit image capture (that adds a truck load of lag on some Nikons), focus detection modes (like face detection) and then building back in from manual focus (which can actually slow things down more compared to a locked Auto mode, depending on camera) and manual flash triggering may help to see where there may be bottlenecks.

15. Pteranadon

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I do have a Canon, but I will give it a shot going M on the flash. Auto focus is out..I will be doing Macro and turn off highlight comp and check into the face detection if is applicable.
    I see where this is going...the more on and not needed...shutt'er down.