• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers Novice wanting opinions about composition

herne

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi all, first post here and and a complete novice so I'd be grateful for some input.

As the title suggests, I'm beginning to consider composition. With this in mind, I went for a little walk earlier with just my iPhone for company and started snapping away. I wasn't considering light or even focus really, just the composition of the pictures. To be honest I wasn't really happy with any of the pictures when I got home, but all part of experimenting and learning which is my main objective. Below is perhaps the pick of a bad bunch, so my question is how would you frame the shot?

For reference the picture is taken facing east on the north coast of Kent UK in full afternoon sunshine. I'm wanting to have the ruined church with the twin towers as the main subject, which it kind of is, but there are many elements I'm not happy with such as where the horizon is positioned and too much sky. The angle feels off as well, perhaps better taken from the beach below, as I'm standing on top of a cliff?

(By the way I hope I've inserted the picture correctly, haven't done it before).

Thanks.

eEfan5c2QkOtkYFnGZ7lWg.jpg

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi Herne,

Welcome to the forum.

For a start you have got a nice level horizon which is often overlooked.

The pathway does help to act as a lead into the composition but the main subject is much too small in the frame with too much dead space around it in my opinion. If there had been a really interesting foreground then it would have made a decent background but as the only real subject it isn't prominent enough.

I like the proportion of sky as the foreground isn't strong enough to warrant more attention.

herne

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for the reply and I totally agree the main subject is too small. It's not clear in the picture but directly in front of it is a car park which with distance is lost (good) but then makes the subject too small (bad). Getting closer just brings the car park into focus so I need to find a different angle, such as perhaps from the beach looking up. Maybe some gentle waves from the shoreline will add some interest too. Fun to try out :).

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Getting closer and getting down lower might have hidden the parking lot. Otherwise, the composition isn't bad.

gaelldew

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Agree with the others Herne, dont be shy about taking the Sony out with you I think you could have got a better shot with either of the lenses you have.

herne

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for the advice all, it really is appreciated.

I'll be heading back to that location again soon when there's some better light - this time with my camera - so will post a further shot or two then with some further composition experiments.

herne

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thought I'd do a follow up.

I went back to the same location but this time down to the beach for a different angle and just before sunset...

DSC05827.jpg

It's a better perspective I think but that car park...

Anyway, I then decided to turn the camera round. Apart from a slight crop to straighten up horizons, these are untouched:

DSC05831.jpg

DSC05847.jpg

DSC05856.jpg

Not exactly award winners but the biggest learning point for me here is to look around rather than focus on just one thing.

gaelldew

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Just a quick and dirty edit in Photoshop.
Quick-edit.jpg

cbarnard7

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good start! I agree with the above comments. Especially when starting out, it's easy to want to get everything into the frame. But, no matter how large your sensor is, or how wide your lens is, you will never do the actual scene justice compared to being there (that's the beauty about experiencing it, in real life). In my own photos, I work on identifying the source of what brings me happiness/uniqueness and make that the main subject. Your brain will fill in the rest when you look at it again.

Everyone has their own versions, but mine would be something like this crop:

eEfan5c2QkOtkYFnGZ7lWg.jpg

herne

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good start! I agree with the above comments. Especially when starting out, it's easy to want to get everything into the frame. But, no matter how large your sensor is, or how wide your lens is, you will never do the actual scene justice compared to being there (that's the beauty about experiencing it, in real life). In my own photos, I work on identifying the source of what brings me happiness/uniqueness and make that the main subject. Your brain will fill in the rest when you look at it again.

Everyone has their own versions, but mine would be something like this crop:

View attachment 314197
Thanks :) . "It's easy to want to get everything into the frame" I think is key here. A lifetime spent of no real thought beyond point and click to create a memory can be a hard habit to break. Of course there will be occasions that I'll still want to take a picture like that, but what I'm starting out on here is to give things more time - to compose myself and the scene - and to understand that less can sometimes be more. I'm finding it completely fascinating.

Isac

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Although it's not essential, using the "Rule of Thirds" is a good way to get some balance in your images. It just means that you should try to place your main subjects on the two vertical and/or horizontal lines. You seem to have this OK in your image. Although not compulsory, if you can, have the subjects on the left of the image. It's just a thing that we look at photos from left to right the same as we do when reading. It's the way our brains have been trained. Like I said, not a rule, but worth thinking about. I flipped your image just to compare, but also think about it when positioning for your shot. PS you have some serious dust bunnies in the image.
DSC05827-E.jpg

herne

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Although it's not essential, using the "Rule of Thirds" is a good way to get some balance in your images. It just means that you should try to place your main subjects on the two vertical and/or horizontal lines. You seem to have this OK in your image. Although not compulsory, if you can, have the subjects on the left of the image. It's just a thing that we look at photos from left to right the same as we do when reading. It's the way our brains have been trained. Like I said, not a rule, but worth thinking about. I flipped your image just to compare, but also think about it when positioning for your shot. PS you have some serious dust bunnies in the image.
Thanks for the feedback. The rule of thirds is something I'm starting to pay attention to, but interesting observation about the subject being to the left.

By dust bunnies do you mean the sensor / lens could do with a good clean?

Isac

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
By dust bunnies do you mean the sensor / lens could do with a good clean?
Most likely on the sensor. Take a photo of a light coloured wall, manual mode, smallest aperture and out of focus. When you view the image on screen you will see the dust spots clearly. In the photo showing the rule of thirds, they are more visible in the top left corner. Here are some I found in your original image.
DSC05827-A-E.jpg

herne

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Most likely on the sensor. Take a photo of a light coloured wall, manual mode, smallest aperture and out of focus. When you view the image on screen you will see the dust spots clearly. In the photo showing the rule of thirds, they are more visible in the top left corner. Here are some I found in your original image.
View attachment 314223
Thanks, I'll get onto that.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Most points covered by above comments. For novice or even the more experienced, if you can get your hands on any of John Hedgcoe's books, they are written in an easy to understand manner, and will give you a solid knowledge to start. Here's one I'd recommend starting with https://www.amazon.com/dp/1855859130/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

For strictly composition this is a detailed resource https://www.amazon.com/Photographer...ocphy=9012738&hvtargid=pla-500214836552&psc=1 like Hedgcoe's books you can find used ones at very economical prices. Unlike Hedgecoe, Freeman does a fantastic job covering all aspects of composition, but his writing style makes it hard to stay on track. Maybe it's because of the details he covers, in any case it's well worth the time.

Last edited: