1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Official Royal Wedding Photos Critiqued | ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by Mike Singh, May 23, 2018.

1. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  2. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Haven't watched it but he is well known for his idiocy and ridiculous views. Right up there with Ken R.

Mike Singh likes this.
  3. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This one is hilarious...but he does make some good points.

rob.tolley77 and Minor Problem like this.
  4. rob.tolley77

rob.tolley77 Active Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I must admit I haven't watched this one yet but I love watching Jared's critiques.
    His reviews and "how to's" are really enjoyable.
    I don't think it's idiocy, just his personality and I like how it comes through in his video's.

Mike Singh likes this.
  5. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I do have a hard time listening to him but his points are valid and I expect the photographer had more time than Jared's worst case hypothesis.

rob.tolley77 and Mike Singh like this.
  6. rob.tolley77

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm inclined to agree with you Mike. His points are spot on and consistent with previous critiques.
    The lighting is poorly done in the first two images and cutting off the hand in the third is nothing short of a schoolboy error. I'm no photography expert but basics are basics. Post editing should have given the first two images some more bite, that look a bit flat if I'm honest and image three does need more contrast.

7. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  8. Tee Witch

Tee Witch Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    ...But it's only people on forums that will bitch about them, doubt it will bother the masses ;)

9. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Never noticed the hand until this video :oops: :) I thought it was a cracking photograph to be honest and even remarked on it to Mrs Snips. Loved the pose and expressions. Just never looked for any mistakes.

Can't help wondering with the first colour one whether that was picked for the media/public as I'm sure he'd have got a shot with them all looking at the camera.

Mike Singh likes this.
  10. Haripaul

Haripaul Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think he did a great job under extreme pressure and limited time to get his shots and it's well known the Duke has no patience when sitting for photos.

spuriosity, Mike Singh and oldgeezer like this.
  11. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    He's an arsehole. You will find mistakes in every photo.

If the photographer wasn't top notch he wouldn't have got the job.

It is more of less impossible to have a group shot that is perfect given the time & pressure given him in this situation.

12. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Polin is entitled to his view.

Amazing for a guy who built half a career out of following vaguely recognisable bands for a year or two.

I haven't watched it I must admit (I don't want to add to his view count, and he's known as one who'll throw out half baked opinions loudly to gather clicks) but I may do later.

oldgeezer likes this.
  13. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I won't critique his shots as I wasn't the one hired to do the job. If the Royal Family had trust, and like the set, then it's there choice. ;)

Sorry, the one I will have an opinion on is that silly mono of the happy couple. They are leaning so hard to the right that it appears totally painful and awkward.

Mike Singh likes this.
  14. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I actually like ‘Fro.’ Initially I found him very abrasive, but once you listen to him for a while, he does mostly speak a lot of sense. His videos are well made, regular, and he is not afraid to call people out.

Bit marmite, but in this case, it’s a yes from me.

rob.tolley77 and Mike Singh like this.
  15. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I guess I'm not sure what this thread is about. At first it seemed to be about a critique of the wedding photos. Then it devolved into an attack on the person giving the critique.

I don't cut professional's any slack for being in a hurry, having to deal with impatient clients, or having to deal with large groups. It's the results that matter, not whether an adoring public like the photos or whether the messenger rubs people the wrong way. Jared's critiques are just as subjective as anyone else's but he does explain fairly well what he sees are issues.

As photographers we should at least weigh the comments, view the photos, and form our own opinions. Trashing the guy giving the critique just seems to be a poor way for avoiding the issues raised.

Mike Singh and Roger S like this.
  16. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I know I am just making a critique of him. He's a solid gold spanner.

I think you've utterly missed the point if you'll let me be so bold Mike, it's entirely a case of whether those viewing the images enjoy them; the technical side is one the vast majority care little for. It's okay for technicians like yourself to endlessly ponder minatuae, but for those actually enjoying the photographs worrying about somewhat tedious technical aspects has precisely nil impact. It's great to be able to explain at great length almost correctly the finer points of sensor theory; making a photograph that will splash a hundred front pages worldwide is a different matter. These will end up in tea-towels, for better or worse.

I wonder how many criticising are aware (and probably those this side of the pond are a touch more cognicent) in that the inner sanctum of the House of Windsor are not 'posed' and as has been pointed out above; the Duke of Edinburgh as well as HM are notoriously awkward with photographers and film crews. The Royal Family are not your usual wedding fodder. In the strictest protocol one does not ask questions of royality, hold their gaze and will not speak unless spoken to.

I am a Republican (in the British sense) before I am accused of fawning over the Royals. I'm happy to produce my membership cards on request :p

I guess if I was a US citizen I'd be one in the US sense too, but that's another subject.

As I said, Polin is entitled to his view and must be allowed to exercise it. I still think he's a penis though.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Minor Problem likes this.
  17. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is a photography forum. We submit photos for view, comment and critique. I believe that is the whole point of the site. Discussions about composition should not deteriorate to name calling. It is not just another social networking site where trolls abound. If we as photographers can't deal with a critique of photographs, even though they are of cherished icons, without denigrating the guy giving the critique then it is no wonder that few actual "critiques" are ever provided.

The fact that everybody loves the photos is not the point for a photography forum. We all know that photographers are the harshest critics of photographs, that's how we learn from the mistakes and genius of others. Here is where a discussion of photographs should be welcomed. Leave the fawning to Facebook.

18. Scoob100

Scoob100 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Gerry Ghionis made (IMHO) a very well composed video reply to all the negative criticism these photos have been receiving on various photography forums, websites, channels etc. Makes a lot of interesting and valid points. I can't link directly as it was a live facebook video but it's near the top of his timeline. https://www.facebook.com/jerry.ghionis.7

19. rob.tolley77

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well from my point of view, what Mike Singh has intended to do by linking Jared's video is to start a discussion on weather we as fellow photographers agree or disagree and to say why we do so and not to start name calling and give our personal opinion or feelings about Jared as a person/YouTuber. I do feel sorry that a few of you felt the need to do that, instead of talking about the actual subject of the thread.

As I said in my original post to this thread, though I'm not expert on photography or all of it's techniques etc, I know a few basics about composition, camera settings etc from magazines, video's and so on, hence why I said that I agree with his critique of the three images.

20. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Rob you are correct about my intention with this post. I do find Jared entertaining as well!
    Mike

21. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Don't feel sorry for me mate.

There's nothing especially controversial in this thread - Polin is especially polarising and casts a long shadow wherever he appears: for better or worse. He certainly has a good number of fans and critics.

He is entitled to his views, and must be fully allowed to exercise them.

22. rob.tolley77

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes he is entitled to his views, as we all are, but for a handful of people posting on this thread calling him an "a**hole" amongst other names to make it a personal attack on the person i.e. Jared Polin, was totally out of order and detracts from the intent of the post.

Mike Singh likes this.
  23. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Trust me if anybody has the force of character to deal with it: Polin.

Polin has attacked enough people over the years with varying levels of rational justification.

He's got a strong personality like many others, nobody is obliged to engage or no with him.

24. Isac

Isac Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think he's correct on the last photo CC with the missing hand. That is a NO-NO no matter what level of photography you're at. Just my 2 bobs worth.

Mike Singh likes this.