1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

"Old Sea Hands" (so to speak)

Discussion in 'All Other Images Forum' started by JCosyn, Nov 8, 2017.

1. JCosyn

JCosyn Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is kind of a "street" photo, except it was shot on a boat, ferrying passengers between Monhegan Island and the mainland (of Maine). I saw these three local kids, sitting together in the stern of the ferry, as far away from tourists and adults as possible. They were obviously quite accustomed to the ferry ride, and looked distinctly un-thrilled to be there, early in the morning (perhaps on their way to school). Getting a candid shot was made a bit more challenging by the motion of the boat through waves, but I thought this one turned out OK, and that the shot tells a story.

Old Sea Hands
    JLC_9969b.jpg

2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It certainly shows their boredom. :D

JCosyn likes this.
  3. Geeman

Geeman Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Dad looks like he's trying not to throw up...good shot

JCosyn likes this.
  4. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It certainly conveys that "Are we there yet" feeling,

JCosyn likes this.
  5. lesthelens

lesthelens Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I love these type of shots you realy have captured the mood , you just cant set up/ stage this kind of photo well done

JCosyn likes this.
  6. JCosyn

JCosyn Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you. What a lovely compliment!

lesthelens likes this.
  7. David Payne

David Payne Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is a lovely shot and as the others have said really captures the moment. Slightly changing the subject but in today's climate I am terrified of photographing candid shots of other peoples children without permission, even in public places like this. I don't know how it is in the States but in UK an old man like me with a camera taking shots of children is a no no.

8. JCosyn

JCosyn Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm not a lawyer, but according to everything I've read in many sources, shooting in public is legal. Using a person's image for profit (e.g. in an advertisement or book) requires a signed release, but where no monetary aspect is involved, it's fair use, when the shots were taken in public. That's in the U.S., as I understand it. However, I have also read that the UK laws are very convoluted and far trickier; I sometimes wonder how anyone can do street photography there. But over here, I don't worry about shooting street scenes or crowds out in public view.

9. David Payne

David Payne Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    In UK as long as it's a public place you can take photographs of anyone, and I do as long as they are adults. I would not photograph a unknown child without permission.

10. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's true ... but ... you may find that as a paying passenger on a boat that it is not a public open space, and you may need the permission of the boat owner/operator.

Paul.

11. JCosyn

JCosyn Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    To each his own. My level of concern over any legal repercussions befalling me as a consequence of this photo falls somewhere between my worrying over being hit in the crotch by someone carelessly tossing the Hope Diamond out a car window, and my chances of finding a winning Irish Sweepstakes ticket stuck to the shoe of a wino in an alley in Soho. ;)

12. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You have captured the boredom perfectly.

JCosyn likes this.
  13. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hope you dont think I was being critical in any way ... just stating the legal aspect especially here in the UK
    Paul

14. JCosyn

JCosyn Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    No, not at all. I didn't think you weren't being critical, you were just sharing a concern. Thanks.