1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Old version of photoshop

Discussion in 'PhotoShop & Editing Tips, Tricks and Tutorials For' started by Hawthorn, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Hawthorn

Hawthorn Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have an ancient laptop with no Internet access. I would like to buy photoshop (or similar) on a cd. I've seen there are lots on eBay. Just wondering if anyone here could suggest which version I should look for? I don't want one which needs to be connected to the Internet to be activated. I'm a total beginner so I'm not looking for special features.

Thank-you for any replies

2. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I would go for Photoshop Elements. It has a lot of the modern Photoshop stuff and is well worth the money and you don't need to go on the net.

Mike Singh and Andy 0 like this.
  3. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes either elements or if its a real clunker you may have more success with GIMP which does all elements does, just its considerably lighter weight.

Plenty of guides for it, but it's not as polished as the Adobe products.

oldgeezer likes this.
  4. Hawthorn

Hawthorn Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)

I thought gimp was free software which you download. I hadn't realised you could buy it on cd, I'll check it out, thanks

5. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    GIMP is good and would probably work better than Element. Older Photoshop is fine but You need a decent speed computer to get any benefit really.

You will need the net though to access the tutorials if you want to get into it quickly.

Andy 0 likes this.
  6. Hawthorn

Hawthorn Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi. I've got the internet on my mobile to watch tutorials and my old laptop does have extra ram added so I should be ok. I'll look into buying gimp

7. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, it is a free download. You can copy the install files to cd or memory stick and install it to your laptop that way

oldgeezer likes this.
  8. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Download it for free !!!!

9. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As said, just download it somewhere else and copy it to your laptop.

Politely, this must be a bit of a clunker if it doesn't have any WiFi connection? If it doesn't have WiFi a £5 USB/WiFi adaptor from Amazon is going to be cheaper and less effort than messing about with discs, CD software died about a decade ago I think.

I had to execute some software from CD last weekend, I forgot how deathly slow the process is!

10. Hawthorn

Hawthorn Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Brilliant! I'll call in a favour.

11. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I am in similar situation- I use the internet via my phone and no internet on computer.
    Buying the canon 77d- there was no CD. Canon does not have one, nor made one.
    Where I purchased the camera- they would not download software from canon. Public library would not let me. I made several calls and no help.
    I called Canon- they had no answers for me. I even told them I had the internet on my phone.
    Then it dawned on me to download it (zip file) on my phone and connect and upload it to my computer.
    Your phone should be able-via cable to connect to your computer.

12. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don't think Canon can be held accountable here. It's much like bemoaning not being able to pop down to Woolies and pick up the latest blockbuster on VHS.

I'm glad you found a workout, but I daresay anything that ships with a CD now will usually find that the CD is tossed in the rubbish with the packaging. I know I certainly do.

It's a dead format for software now though. I would say that whilst it is clearly not zero, the cases of purchasers of expensive enthusiast digital cameras not having a desktop type environment in which to work and an Internet connection are low?

13. Pteranadon

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    No bemoaning here, I was surprised someone told me that it wasn't possible to do it, however searching Google and in another forum, it was said it could be done.
    Perhaps someone did not want anyone downloading software on a device in which was not going to be used on? Meaning if kept, anyone could share etc etc.

Andy 0 likes this.
  14. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well an 'exe' or a 'zip' is just the message, you 'could' array it across floppy discs if you were so inclined.

Can you not just tether your 'phone to your laptop, that sounds even easier?

15. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The internet round here is frequently much slower than the typical CD-rom.
    In the early evening when local kids are playing on-line games it can take 5 minutes to download a page.

Admittedly it still beats the '1x' CD-rom I had many years ago (which despite the rating transfered data slower than a floppy disc - strangely it played audio CD's just fine). I don't think there are many of those around anymore!
    AFAIK even the oldest computers I can now use (we have some legacy systems in the lab) don't have a CD slower than '50x'

16. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The less media out in the world the better IMHO. Ditch the printed manuals, the cd/dvds and their cases and do anything possible to reduce packaging. Canon seem to do that quite well compared to other companies. Last Canon I bough had very minimal plastic in the unsealed box. Cables just held with twist ties, camera in one of those soft bags and recyclable rather than polythene. Compare that to the amount of plastic junk in the box with many others electronic goods and a certain amount of praise has to be given to Canon. I am all for making all software downloadable. Looking in my loft there are still loads of software boxes going back to my Amiga days, mostLay junk.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  17. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Cables with twist ties inside plastic bags. That annoys me. There is no need for them to be in plastic!

Phill104 likes this.
  18. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Doh, silly iPad auto complete adding words there. Still, at least the gist of the sentence was understood. My old English master would be turning in his grave if it was not for the fact he is probably sunning himself on an Aussie beach as we speak.

Andy 0 likes this.
  19. Pteranadon

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I can tether the phone to computer, but I got a message "you need the internet for this" which probably meant I needed another download on my phone to upload to the computer just to . .ha!

20. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day mate

I've got PS E version 5 on CD along with its printed manual ... no longer produced after v5
    Give me a PM if you want it

Hawthorn and Andy 0 like this.
  21. Hawthorn

Hawthorn Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi ozzie traveler, I would be extremely interested but I'm guessing you are in Australia and I'm in UK

22. Ozzie_Traveller

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi matey ... look at my profile - email me your address & I'll chuck it in the post
    Phil

Hawthorn and Andy 0 like this.
  23. Tenorplayer

Tenorplayer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I use CS6, it does all I want and much more

24. Ogofmole

Ogofmole Always on Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    CS5 for me, plus Adobe DNG converter to cover all new camera RAW files.

25. Ozzie_Traveller

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day Hawthorn
    PS Elements kit posted to you today - it should be with you in 5 to 8 days from now
    Enjoy - and have fun :)

davcoll and Hawthorn like this.