• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Olympus OM-1N Rewind shaft fell in - help?

funkybum

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi all!

I've had my Olympus OM-1N for over a year and I enjoy taking pictures with it a lot. I've been dumb enough to turn the rewind crank the wrong way a few times before which causes it to fall off (yes I know, shame on me, I found out today that there is an arrow on the crank to point me in the right direction), but I've always been able to reassemble everything.

This time, however, I could not manage to get it back on. the rewind shaft seems to have gotten loose and fell into the film chamber. Now I am unable to open the camera to get it out, as to open it you need all those parts to be in place.

Does anyone know of another way of opening the camera back so I can get into the film chamber and try to reassemble everything?

Here are links to the Olympus OM-1 manual for the names that I'm referring to just in case you are not familiar:

https://www.petervis.com/Cameras/ol...op-controls-and-lens-rings-manual-page-2.html

https://www.petervis.com/Cameras/ol...nt-and-base-plate-controls-manual-page-3.html

I can add pictures of my own camera if that adds anything.

Massive thanks!!

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Good thing I have a parts OM-1.

You need to make a hook, like with a small screwdriver or pliers. I used a small metal "pick" that I use to apply paint to set screws. You need to reach into the hole that the rewind shaft fits into and latch onto the spring-loaded disk that the rewind shaft pulls against. Pull up, the back opens. I just did this with my parts OM-1.

Last edited:

funkybum

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good thing I have a parts OM-1.

You need to make a hook, like with a small screwdriver or pliers. I used a small metal "pick" that I use to apply paint to set screws. You need to reach into the hole that the rewind shaft fits into and latch onto the spring-loaded disk that the rewind shaft pulls against. Pull up, the back opens. I just did this with my parts OM-1.
Thanks so much for the reply! I'll try to give that a go.

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Let me know how you do. I can take some pictures of the process if you need it.

funkybum

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Let me know how you do. I can take some pictures of the process if you need it.
If you could, I would definitely appreciate it. I've tried to reach in with some hooks but I'm not completely sure what I'm looking for in there. You mentioned the 'spring-loaded disc'? Thanks!

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
You get your choice of singing Shaft while doing this, or yelling:
Help! My Shaft has fallen and I can't open it up!

Okay- So I can repeatedly do this. Second time, with pictures.
Full res uploaded to Flickr.

Opening Camera Back by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

This is the spring-loaded mechanism for opening the back.

This is what you have to latch onto without seeing it:

And I closed the back- "put-up or shut-up advice on the Internet".

And the back opens up. Some feeling around, and finding the right spot. This takes some pressure to open the release mechanism.

One more shot of the right spot-

Give this a try. I bent the Pick quickly, the "home-made" pliers in the book are better for this job. You need to get the tip into place, then latch onto the ring.