• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

OM-1 overhaul - worth it?

lynnclairet

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi everyone,

My friend gave me their Olympus OM-1. It seems to be in great condition, but I wasn't able to get the light meter to work with a variety of batteries recommended to replace the original ones (which I understand are no longer available). I have learned of someone who is able to overhaul the camera so it can use silver oxide batteries, but it's looking like this will cost me about $200 altogether. This is my first film camera, and I am just looking to have an enjoyable experience with the medium. As such, I was hoping for some advice on whether it's worth paying for the overhaul of this camera, or just buying a cheaper model (in which case, any recommendations are welcome!) I understand that the OM-1 is a bit of a classic - is its quality significant enough to justify the price of overhaul vs buying a cheaper camera?

Thanks!

Mj224

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
$200 is quite a lot of money to update a vintage camera. Kinda depends on your wants and expectations.

To save the repair, you could just use an external light meter, they may be quite easy to buy of an auction site or in a camera shop that has old gear to sell.

If you are sticking to film, there must be plenty of these cameras for sale, and they should/could be in excellent condition...

Good luck..

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It's a great camera and was my first 'real' SLR. I still have mine and would never part with it. I'd say anything other than a routine clean and lubrication isn't really worth it if you can't do the work yourself as you can pick working ones up quite cheaply. The light seals will probably need replacing too BTW.

If you have good dexterity and can use a soldering iron, adding a diode to the battery compartment is a permanent fix for the battery problem or you could just use one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MR-9-PX6...155139?hash=item2f36efe843:g:Y~MAAOSwiDFYMG9~

Here's a whole bunch of videos/tutorials to get you started: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=service+olympus+om1

Olympian

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Condition, condition, condition. If the camera is in rough shape, or is an early model, but is otherwise in good working order (except the meter), you might just as well shoot it as is, using an external meter or even the old "rules of thumb" ("Sunny16", etc) to set your exposures.