1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

One year left for Windows 7: Jan 14, 2020 no more support

Discussion in 'The Computer Clinic Forum' started by DonS, Jan 14, 2019 at 2:46 PM.

1. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    One year from today Windows 7 will no longer be supported with bug fixes or security updates. support for other newer software will be dropping soon as well.

2. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's a shame as it was an insanely good OS, however the simple reality is that it has reached the end of its useful life.

Flip side is there will be a host of ancient boxes sitting on the Internet maintained by the proud 'never update' fraternity ready to act as vectors for large scale attacks against, as we saw two years ago, the NHS of all things.

Loads more zombies sitting on the net.

Ho hum.

3. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I wonder how long it will be before windows goes down the subscription model route!

4. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just wondering how many folk are going to ask me this year if I've got a dodgy copy of Windows 10 about because their dodgy copy of Windows 7 isn't going to get updates any more?

I know that sounds amusing but I get asked at least once a month if I can get an update or new version of dirty software because whilst folks are too penny pinching to buy a license, they still want to access to the updates to keep their machines "secure".

5. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I get asked the same too, just about as often.

It would be a bit hypocritical of me to lambaste them as I did copy spectrum tapes back in the day, used xcopy on the Amiga etc before I was in the world of work. Same with music, I had quite a bit of copied stuff. It is also true that a large percentage of those who do copy stuff in their formative years become the best customers later on.

SeanNeedham likes this.
  6. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sounds exactly like me, but now I'll still keep dodgy software around not to be a cheapskate but to be able to mount it up on a test machine or a VM and then be able to say "Really, do you want something that's doing this (and then being able to explain that) on your system?"; and what still surprises me even after I've gone through all of this with folk that they are still willing to risk critical data and livelihood on saving a few bob a day on licensing.

Phill104 likes this.
  7. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Not far. Windows 10 may be the last upgrade version. They are working on moving to rolling updates with "feature update" versions which add things normally only done in "new" versions. For example, build 1803 (came out in April but was "gold" in March hence the 1803) introduced a new procedure for third party driver files. They have to be digitally signed my the third party and Microsoft. At work this has slowed down our releases. Microsoft was taking several weeks to return drivers to us. We all heard about the 1809 build that deleted files and was pulled to be fixed. The 1903 build is supposed to be reserving a certain amount of drive space for the OS (7 GB or something)

8. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It will be interesting to see what happens when it does. I am sure there will be a backlash but with for many there is no viable alternative. Given all the problems MS had their last roll out maybe it will be delayed, or corporate customers only.

9. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That sounds similar to MacOS (I think that needs 12GB to be able to roll an update), so that sort of space does sound like it could be for an update-in-place system to be put in.

I think there'll be the moaners, and then folk will just have to get on with it. It's not really as if folk are going to have too much choice in the matter as whilst it may blip up sales on Mac based systems for personal use (but given the stats of how things are sold at work, the whole desktop environment is a largely dwindling market) there isn't really any other viable option for a lot of places. Then there'll be a load of press releases saying X company is shifting to Linux, and then that'll quietly disappear when they've audited the systems and realise the most important stuff is in vB and the total cost of migrating would be more than keeping Windows (still not seen any of this magic Linux roll out here in Barcelona @DonS) or the seat filler moans that they've not got Microsoft Office even though Open Office is equal for the task.

People are going to have to get in line and suck it up if they really don't want tossing back in to the dark ages as Microsoft has been slowly turning folk in to Pavlov's dog since 1984.

10. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    an upgrade is only an upgrade if it makes things better.....I use industrial software on computer controlled machines and the software which is hardware dongle protected costs thousands of pounds and "operating system upgrades" have habit of messing that up..............software never wears out unlike hardware and having the machines stand alone secures them from harm.

11. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm still running a dongle on an XP machine here. XP Pro is a seriously tough OS and I've never had it break anything. Fortunately, I took the free upgrades to Win 10 on the Seven machines so there was no cost.

12. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have been surprised to see laptops through to servers in development running on ARM chips. It also looks like Apple may be running ARM in upcoming laptops and desktops. So with ports of M$ office already available and even Microsoft working on surface laptops and tablets using ARM, the whole environment is likely to change. Adobe are soon releasing various packages on IOS so will be ARM ready as are many other developers. I think things will change a lot faster than people think. In the same timeframe I am also sure a lot of software will be running not on our own machines, but live in server farms and the like. So whether we will need more than a rudimentary OS at home in the future is open to debate.

As for migration, I’ve seen huge sums of money spent on failed attempts to move from mainframes to open systems. Still, keeps me in a job.