• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

PANASONIC FZ82 HELP PLEASE?

Hello Everyone
I am new here and new to photography. It has always been something I have wanted to do. I purchased the FZ82 just before Christmas and am loving the photos I am taking. I do though have a problem I just cannot seem to fix and have tried everything. In iA plus or iA mode I cannot get teh yellow focus box with the 4 cursors, I can get it in every other mode. In the iA mode it simply goes to a tiny red square that bleeps and goes off again. Has anyone else had this issue or can suggest a remedy? Thank you.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Hi Sonia and welcome to the forum. Your iA mode is automatically in face recognition mode when you switch it on. If it can't pick out a face it then goes to an automatic tracking mode, so you need to move the camera around to locate a subject to track so that it can lock on. What you should do is go back to A which is aperture mode, or P which is Shutter priority mode. I realise that you just want a point and shoot, but iA (automatic) only used the brain of whatever computer programmer coded in the camera's computer brain.

Hello Roger thank you for the welcome and for coming back to me so quickly. I have spent literally weeks trying to work it out. I have only used iA so far and my camera does not seem to do what others models the same are doing, i guess ive pressed something along the way, I will take your advice and change to one of the others and see how i go ... will let you know how i get on, thanks again.

Electra

Always on
Hello Sonia:crigon_04:!

I have the FZ72. You can't do what you're trying to do in iA mode because the camera is doing it for you. That's the purpose of this mode:)!

Have a look here:

Quote:
"As these two modes, iA and iA+, are especially designed for either new users to the camera or for use in
situations where a “point and shoot” mode might be preferred, the amount and degree of exposure parameter
adjustment is reduced accordingly.
Exposing the new user to the advanced features of the camera would not make for a sensible introduction to
photography with this device.
Menu Items Adjustable in the iA+ Mode
In the (REC) menu:
[Photo Style], [Aspect Ratio], [Picture Size], [Quality], [AFS/AFF /AFC], [Burst Rate], [4K PHOTO], [Auto
Bracket], [Self Timer], [i-Handheld Night Shot], [i-HDR], [Time Lapse Shot], [Stop Motion Animation],
[Shutter Type], [Conversion], [Colour Space], [Stabiliser], [Face Recognition.], [Profile Setup]"

This is from Graham Houghton's very useful guide to the FZ82. Unlike most manuals, it's actually readable! Here's the link for the free download:

https://www.grahamhoughton.com/download-section/

Why don't you pop over to the Who are you?? forum and introduce yourself? Everyone's very friendly and helpful and I'm sure you'll find lots of good advice and help.

Last edited:
Hello Electra, I have been following Graham's videos on youtube and have downloaded his PDF :) He is amazing. He is able to do what I want to do with his model FZ82. I have watched his first video about 20 times to make sure every single setting is set up the same as his. He has a yellow box with 4 cursors which you can move the focus area around the screen. I only have a tiny red box that bleeps. I will see if anyone else has any tips,if not i will try the other settings A & P modes, if that fails I am thinking maybe it is a faulty camera. Thanks for your reply.

JAH-WAR

Always on
Premium Member
An Essex girl I see. I'm off down there for a good ole tear up this Easter Weekend:grin:

Electra

Always on
Sonia - apologies:(! I've watched Graham's video - he's very good, isn't he? My camera's different, being an older model. It seems to be that you press the left-hand cursor button when focussing and then you get the yellow box with the four cursors... theoretically!

There's a member here who's a Panasonic Lumix devotee - perhaps he'll see this and shed some light on the matter.

Good luck!

ed taylor

Super Ed
Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. Can you do a factory reset. Just in case you have pressed and locked some of the functions without knowing it.

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
G'day Sonya

Ah... another Panny user - fabulous - maybe one day we'll out do those damn canon-nikon-sony mob too :)

Okay - that damn i-Auto mode
My 100% would be for you to abandon it immediately. It is an excellent mode for young children who would otherwise use their phone, or elderly grandparents who back in film camera days used a kodak box-brownie ... and all each of them ever did was "point & click". The fact that you are here talking to us shows that you do not fit into either description!!

Please immediately go to "P" Program mode
Whatever camera / exposure settings the camera chose for i-Auto mode will be identical when you're using "P" mode, with the exception that now, every menu option is open to you for use - rather than the very restrictive [child's play] menu from i-Auto

Once you select "P" mode, press the 'menu' button in the centre of the rear control panel and the 'camera' icon will take you thru 6 screens of "photo stuff". You will also see a 'spanner' icon which will take you thru a once-only needed set of settings as to how you want the camera to behave

If you can give me a better idea as to your need for the focus-frame &cursors, maybe I can give you a better answer to your conundrum

Regards, Phil
ps- I've used Panny now for a decade or more [plus others from time to time but come back to panny cameras coz they're great little cameras]

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
My 100% would be for you to abandon it immediately. It is an excellent mode for young children who would otherwise use their phone, or elderly grandparents who back in film camera days used a kodak box-brownie ... and all each of them ever did was "point & click". The fact that you are here talking to us shows that you do not fit into either description!!
Wise choice of words, Phil. I believe you are right on.

Electra

Always on
G'day Sonya

Ah... another Panny user - fabulous - maybe one day we'll out do those damn canon-nikon-sony mob too :)

Regards, Phil
ps- I've used Panny now for a decade or more [plus others from time to time but come back to panny cameras coz they're great little cameras]
Hello Ozzie_Traveller/Phil:wave:!

You are the fellow forum member I was thinking of in post#9, but unfortunately your name escaped me! I've read your past posts on 'bridge' cameras.

I'm a Panny user too:)! I recently acquired a 'refurbished' (i.e. second-hand!) FZ72; I'd had my eye on one for 3 years. I also have a TZ55. I have 2 Canon Ixuses too, which I think are marvellous for what they are, but we'll keep quiet about that;)!

I tried to help Sonia but her FZ82 has moved on a bit from the FZ72, as you'd expect. My iA+ doesn't do what hers does but in trying to assist, I found out more about this mode than I knew before (because I don't use it much) e.g. you can adjust colour temperature and DOF.

I mainly use Aperture Priority and sometimes P, S, and Scene modes.

I hope you can help Sonia further if she expands a bit! I'm glad you posted and saved my memory lapse.

Nice to meet you, Elizabeth

G'day Sonya

Please immediately go to "P" Program mode
Whatever camera / exposure settings the camera chose for i-Auto mode will be identical when you're using "P" mode, with the exception that now, every menu option is open to you for use - rather than the very restrictive [child's play] menu from i-Auto

Once you select "P" mode, press the 'menu' button in the centre of the rear control panel and the 'camera' icon will take you thru 6 screens of "photo stuff". You will also see a 'spanner' icon which will take you thru a once-only needed set of settings as to how you want the camera to behave

If you can give me a better idea as to your need for the focus-frame &cursors, maybe I can give you a better answer to your conundrum

Regards, Phil
Thank you so much for your reply Phil, I will ditch the iA mode. The only other camera ive used is my Samsung S8 & S10+ so I have never even had a camera before ... very sad lol.

The only reason I wanted the yellow box with cursors is because of watching a youtube video that says it is good to have to insure focus. A lot of the pictures I have taken with iA mode are either out of focus or too much noise, I thought this would solve that issue.

I am open to any advice you can give as I really do want to understand the art of photography as well as take amazing pictures ... and I do definitely have the eye for it as some of the photos I have taken on my phone are great.

Anyway thanks again for all your advice, lots of playing and lots of practice this weekend :)

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
@Sonia Parker ... Quote "I really do want to understand the art of photography as well as take amazing pictures ".
Well you have taken the first and possibly the best step, you have joined us on here ...

Paul

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
Thank you so much for your reply Phil, I will ditch the iA mode. ... The only reason I wanted the yellow box with cursors is because of watching a youtube video that says it is good to have to insure focus. A lot of the pictures I have taken with iA mode are either out of focus or too much noise, I thought this would solve that issue. .... Anyway thanks again for all your advice, lots of playing and lots of practice this weekend :)
Okay Sonia

Heaps of things here -
a) Reading your reply above, I can only presume that the youtube video was referring to either phones or cameras with a touch screen - where the focus point can be moved around via finger, but generally useful only after the camera/phone has been fixed to a tripod or something similar.

b) Your Panny has a touch screen - [I personally hate the damn things - but some people find them useful] - but most of us use the camera in "single-focus" mode - called AF-S, whereby we point at the main subject, 1/2-press the shutter button till the camera gives a gentle 'beep', then we hold the shutter button carefully while moving the camera around a bit to rearrange the best composition, before fully pressing the shutter button to actually take the photo

c) Get to know the location of the Qwik-Menu button and all that it opens up to you [page 45 of the user manual also]. This button allows you to alter a dozen or so different bits of the camera's settings, including its focus arrangements, the colours of the images themselves, along with other stuff

On another level - if you would like to receive PDF docs outlining the best FZ usage etc, go to my profile to find an email address and bounce me your email details - I can then add you to the other names of Panny users who receive stuff. I am not like Graham Horton, but ...... :)

Phil

Hi Phil

Thank you again :) Yes on the video the camera was on a tripod!! I have been out this morning taking lots of photos in different modes and playing with it really. I guess lots of practice is going to help me understand too.

I have looked at your profile. WOW!! impressive history, thank you for the offer of the PDF's too... :)